1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

It's Splittin' Time!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bacffin, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    I still have 4 logs to buck up but I wanted to get this ash split as soon as possible. I know people burn this stuff green, so I threw a fresh split log in just for kicks. It burned okay but it still had that yuky wet smell when you opened the stove door. I'll face stack this load between the trees and see how it is in January or February.
    ~Bruce

Attached Files:

zap, smokinj, Billybonfire and 2 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CageMaster

CageMaster Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Canada
    those are some nice rounds...the bucket must make it so easy for moving stuff around
  3. 91LMS

91LMS Member

Loc:
    MAINE
    i have had great luck burning ash a month or two after cutting and splitting off the stump. i have a similiar plan for some cold weather burning!

Attached Files:

Bacffin likes this.
  4. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    How many cords will you have when done Basiffin ?
  5. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice load of wood.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Better yet, January or February, 2014 or 2015. And I do not like to stack wood between trees. It is not good for the trees and if windy those trees move. Not good for the wood stack then. Much better to crib the ends.
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice wood processing area & equipment.
    Green wood burning "OK" ? Maybe it burned, but I'm skeptical with the "OK" part :)

Nice bucket full of rounds & piles of splits, you've been busy ;)
    PapaDave likes this.
  8. 91LMS

91LMS Member

Loc:
    MAINE
    not trying to derail the thread but... its only on one end and the tree is history when i build my new garage next summer.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    That ash is probably sitting at around 30% moisture or more, wait till this time next year to burn. Just saying
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The tractor was the best yard tool I ever bought ;)
  11. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Some where between 6&8 is my quess. After it is split and stacked, I'll know for sure.
  12. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I agree, a couple of years would be much better for sure. Curious, how is it not good for the trees? I usually stack between decent size trees to prevent the stack from falling down. I didn't lose one log off a stack during superstorm Sandy's 60 - 80 mph gusts. I was suprised.
  13. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I should probably explain this one a little better, my bad. It is from log id 13 here http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/log-id-lucky-number-13-please.91714/#post-1201382
    It had no bark and was right around 20 on the moister meter on a fresh split. That's what I meant about burning just OK.

I already had the tractor and my kids knew I would be asking them to spend their weekends cutting a splitting my wood. That is why they bought me the log splitter. ;) Smart move on their part.
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I agree with Dennis most of the time . . . but I've stacked between trees before with no ill effects . . . it really depends on the size of the trees (larger is better), tree species (thick barked species are better), weather/wind conditions and how you stack the wood. In the year or so I had a couple stacks between trees both the trees and stacks were fine and no worse for wear.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The bark of a tree is like the skin on your arm. It is there to protect the tree so why do anything to take a chance on harming the tree? I like to look at it the same as I would a vegetable growing in a field or garden. Put something against it and you cause damage to the plant or fruit. Also, if the trees are small then for sure wind will make them bend a lot and this will cause rubbing which will damage the tree in very short order.
  16. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I like the work set up, the small tractor and splitter. It looks like it works great in combination.
  17. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Looks like you are doing great! Money in the bank lol