It's (spring) here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The deer usually chomp off the first bit of daylilly growth here.
4 legged lawn mowers

A couple Falls ago one ( or more) of them chewed tops and then yanked some right out of the ground, chewed the roots and left the rhizome.
We have daylillies that grow wild here and come up all over but they ruined the ones I planted.
Never saw them pulled right up out of the ground before.

I believe that after today and tomorrow "mud season" will have officially arrived. Everything is very squishy in my yard. And it looks really dirty.

20140330_122658.jpg
This is why you don't put your out buildings on grade at the lowest points of the property. Now that ice is turning into water I am putting everything in the garage/shop up on blocks.
Still better than another storm or sub freezing temps!

Last edited:
My late FIL was "Mr. Drainage" (architects are big on drainage). His good son is cut from the same cloth. And I'm ever so grateful! (esp. since we live on a low lot). On our walkie the fool dog and I marveled at the pooled water in the traditionally low parts of the lot (vernal pools! :)) and I was rudely reminded that I need to replace my cracked "muck boots"... jeez that infiltrating water was cold!

Reactions: Warm_in_NH and Dix
My late FIL was "Mr. Drainage" (architects are big on drainage). His good son is cut from the same cloth. And I'm ever so grateful! (esp. since we live on a low lot). On our walkie the fool dog and I marveled at the pooled water in the traditionally low parts of the lot (vernal pools! :)) and I was rudely reminded that I need to replace my cracked "muck boots"... jeez that infiltrating water was cold!

Replaced mine this year. Got these

31900.a.detail.jpg

Love 'em, or is the jury still out?

Love them. Totally water proof.

Just don't wear them on ice. You'll fall on your ash, in more ways than one :p

First real spring walk on our own road with the pup. Finally wide enough that it's safe enough, and warm enough to walk to the end of the road and back. Above freezing, sunny, near 50, shorts, birds singing, I think it might really be here! Well, at least enough that we can start to realize what it's like to not be freezing outside. Ironically, with the 3+ feet of snow in the yard, there were flying insects out today. Really mother nature, you couldn't give us just a few days to enjoy the warmth without bugs?! ;lol

2014-04-01 16.58.19.jpg

2014-04-01 17.04.47.jpg
Spring kids trout derby here in 2 1/2 weeks. Might be ice fishing.

bighouse.jpg
Favorite house in town. They host an anyone is welcome new years bon fire and fire works show. 1/2 mile walk, been there more than once.

2014-04-01 17.06.43.jpg

2014-04-01 17.34.50.jpg
If I don't help the garlic beds see the light of day, there may be no garlic this year.

2014-04-01 17.27.49.jpg
Thats real mud and sand in that driveway. The poor dog is freaked out by the mud, he jumps from ice island to ice island. Not too bright.

Last edited:
Harvesting the bulbs must be quite and operation. Like diggin' potatoes!

It's big time farming. WA Bulb Co is the largest flower bulb grower in the US.
They own about 2000 acres of land there and farm:
Daffodils - 500 acres
Tulips - 350 acres
Iris - 150 acres
Wheat - 600 acres

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbin
It is officially here !! Sweat shirts off !!

20140412_115225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was gorgeous here (60s). I slogged away in my shop until 2-ish and then decided to clean up the southern perennial beds. I also decided to let the "new" kitty go outdoors. She's been here for 4 days and is 8.5 lbs. of unbridled aggression. The resident Pride is horrified by what a touchhole she is, they're really sort of afraid of her because her aggression makes no sense to them. It was a bold move to open the doors. And a good one, I think. It took her fully 30 minutes to screw up the confidence to cross the threshold and in over 1.5 hrs. she never ventured farther than 15' from the door to her room. But all the while she was listening to me chitty-chat with the fool dog and all 3 kitties who absolutely love being outdoors with their dog and their humans. I hope this is the first big step toward joining the family for Diesl (like Liesl in the Sound of Music).

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

Yesterdays pics. The water is going back to it's liquid form, southern exposure hills and woods are melting out, random brooks are babbling through the woods. The paths in my yard are getting wider and the snow walls are getting lower. Last night was my first night since November without a fire! It was warm enough to sit on the picnic table that finally melted out and cold enough that we still had plenty snow around to keep the beer cold this weekend. Spring is slowly winning the battle! :cool:

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.