It's the beginning of the end......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimfromMA

Minister of Fire
Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
.....for this season anyways.

I have not run the pellet stove for 3 straight days and there does not appear to be any heating days in the forecast. I'm thinking about the final end of season cleaning and putting the stove to bed for the summer.

Yeah, I have some bags left over... do they make pellet air-conditioning? :confused:

Reactions: riverat
I have some pellet bags too. Just over 300 of them.

Ran the heat this morning. If I was still burning I would have contemplating starting the stove. Easier to run the heat then listen to the kids wine about being cold. Ran the A/C two days ago.

Ran the upstairs stove this morning to get the chill off.

You guys are killing me... I would love to have some more cooler weather. Calling for almost 90 here this weekend.

In the not so distant past it was I who was jealous of you as I shoveled 4' of snow off the roof of my house.

You guys are killing me... I would love to have some more cooler weather. Calling for almost 90 here this weekend.

Are you also jealous of the 2 months of lows in the negative numbers and several times at -18 or -20? Everyone has their cross to bear weather-wise :)

I cleaned mine and plugged off the exhaust Saturday. I went through 3 tons minus the 4 bags I have left over. Can't wait to fire it up again in 3 months.

Last burn was 5 days ago. Looks like no more, need to learn how to clean it up for season, block off inlet & exhaust from humid air. Only 6 bags left over.

Have not needed to burn for couple weeks here but the forecast with rain hopefully, is for some cooler weather with highs barely making 60 for several days coming. So get some corn cleaned up and in the stove to chase the chill for a few more days.
Corn is emerging and the wheat is looking nice. Just need some good soaking moisture.
Dropped a ton of pellets into the basement yesterday to start the next heating seasons squirreling away of fuel.

Last burn was 5 days ago. Looks like no more, need to learn how to clean it up for season, block off inlet & exhaust from humid air. Only 6 bags left over.

Empty out all remaining pellets, take it completely apart and clean absolutely every thing, including the vent, reassemble, cap off the vent to keep critters out and put a bucket of Damp Rid in the combustion chamber.

Enjoy the summer.

still burning here, but not during the day. I only start the stove very late at night and shut it off in the morning. its in T-stat mode now and i never see the stat call for heat so its mostly keeping up with the heat from its maintenance burn. i'd love to mothball for the summer but until end of may/ early june the house winds up being a bit chilly in the AM. I have about a ton left.

Again this morning, started the Hastings up when I got up and turned off at thermostat before I left for work. Turned off the Harman downstairs, but it is getting pretty chilly down there, so will most likely turn it on again soon. Still have a 60# or so in the hopper, so will probably burn that up next week (I hear it supposed to get cooler and rainy again).

.....for this season anyways.

I have not run the pellet stove for 3 straight days and there does not appear to be any heating days in the forecast. I'm thinking about the final end of season cleaning and putting the stove to bed for the summer.
My stoves have been cleaned up for the summer two months ago and have been running the airconditioning in the house the last week.

Cool this morning but I resisted. Weather looks fine for the next week but could have a couple of cool evenings before summer sets in.

i'm not taken in so easily by a few days of not burning.
june 15th remains stove shut down day in this household.

Since the prices shot up I did my final big cleaning 3 weeks ago put my damp rid in and unplugged till the cold comes and told the wife to use the oil.the oil has been off the last 2 weeks.insatlling the new windows last year.me and my dad has made a big difference.also have a ton waiting for next year✌️

It's over here. It has been 80+ all week. I had the windows open the last couple of nights. I did the final clean on Sunday. Wire brush and WD 40 on all the cast bits that rust. I vacuumed every thing twice and plugged the vent.
I plan on upgrading the Dino burner in the fall. If oil prices stay low I may give pellets a rest next year. The stove paid for itself a couple of times so I'm going to give it a look in the fall and see what makes sense economically.
Spring only lasted 10 days. We are in full summer mode now.

It's over here. It has been 80+ all week. I had the windows open the last couple of nights. I did the final clean on Sunday. Wire brush and WD 40 on all the cast bits that rust. I vacuumed every thing twice and plugged the vent.
I plan on upgrading the Dino burner in the fall. If oil prices stay low I may give pellets a rest next year. The stove paid for itself a couple of times so I'm going to give it a look in the fall and see what makes sense economically.
Spring only lasted 10 days. We are in full summer mode now.

Wow - I've only had one 80+ day (yesterday), most days have been in 60's or low 70's. Actually, it is the morning temps that have me turning on the stove for a short while - in the low 30's so the house has cooled off by the time I get up - and at 3:30 I am in no mood to be cold. This morning the outside temp was 42, and the house warm enough that I didn't cycle the stove.

Fired mine up this morning ..................... 39 outside when I got up around 5

We had freeze warnings out last night and the daytime high yesterday was only 50. Started the stove early evening and shut down this AM with the house getting plenty of solar gain. Probably will have to have the stove running for the next couple days with cool temps and hopefully some more rain.

well, i am only pouring part of a bag in the hopper at a time now. ever hopeful and trying to avoid having to remove too many pellets when the time comes.
too cloudy for much solar gain these next few days, so burning a little bit every 36 hours or so.
still some lows in the 30s coming. but if it's sunny before and after that, i can usually get away with no burn.

We got a nice shot of rain, about 2 inches over the west half of MN yesterday but lots of wind and pretty cool temps so looks like the stove will be on low into Wednesday.

Good lord, up here in Canada the stove has not run in over a month! I'm long done, 1 ton left out of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.