It's what's for dinner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Instead of turning on the traditional oven, I'm trying to find ways to use the already-hot wood stove to cook our meals. The other night, I wrapped whole fish stuffed with veggies in aluminum foil after adding a little salt and pepper, and a dollop of butter. Seven minutes per side, and it was perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_8490_1024x685.jpg
    DSC_8490_1024x685.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_8503_1024x685.jpg
    DSC_8503_1024x685.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC_8515_1024x685.jpg
    DSC_8515_1024x685.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 557
Now I'm hungry!

Niiiice!! Was that Tilapia?
Thats the way to do it man, Nothing beats the meat in the cheeks.

That looks delicious... (drool)

You placed it right on the coals, I would have thought it would have burned. Looks great.

hareball said:
Niiiice!! Was that Tilapia?
Thats the way to do it man, Nothing beats the meat in the cheeks.

It's a dorade royale, I think originating from the Mediterranean. I've done the same with trout and am tempted to try flounder. The cheeks were the best part, although I told my brother what I had done and he was quite disappointed I didn't eat the eyes.

Jack, no burning on the fish. I put a few veggies between the fish and foil to lift the fish a bit off the hot coals, but I'm not sure if that did anything. I cut the air to about half way so the coals had a nice glow, but nothing too, too hot. Thinking of it, a salmon filet would work on really hot coals. No need to flip if the skin side is down because it's quite thick and wouldn't matter if it burnt.

bon appetit!

I love cooking in my stove as well. Some of the fastest baked potatoes i've ever made!!!

Great idea...but the head/eyes/tail gross me out. I love fish, but I wouldn't be able to eat it that way... :shut:

He/she even added parsley for presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.