It's whats for supper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prada said:
Wow Bfunk, what's the story behind that!?!

Well, my dad and i were actually hunting elk.
We had seen a few elk that day but nothing we were after. All cows and small bulls.
About an hour before dark we spotted a mother bear with two cubs. The mother was a very large beautiful black bear.
Obviously we would never take a mother with cubs, so we were just enjoying watching them. About 20 minutes before dark this guy came out
and he was actually harassing the cubs. Male bears will kill cubs if they have a chance. We had a bear tag so my dad took this guy. Before we could find this bear, it was dark.
Not a good idea to be messing around up there knowing theres a mother with cubs around. We were forced to wait till
morning to find and tag the bear. I only know of one old sheep herder who eats "bear stew". They are mostly hunted around here to thin
out the population and are the only animal i know of that the meat is considered waste. We had the hide and head tanned and is
hanging next to the pellet stove at my dads house. This guy had some wicked claws that a friend of the family will make jewelry out of. The hide turned out really nice, he is a pretty blonde bear.
So there ya go.

Brad

Attachments

• goo012306 105r.jpg
    goo012306 105r.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 290
Oh my that is some story. I can't imagine being face to face with a bear that size. We have a few black bear in our woods at times but they have always looked small in comparison to your bear. Oh I want a bearskin rug for in front of my wood burner! LOL I've got tons of sheep rugs and even one Buffalo rug but I've always wanted a bear rug. I bet your Dad is really proud of his being that he even took it down himself. Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your photo's and DANG that's a BIG FOOT! lol

Years ago my dad got a very big brown bear. With a beautiful coat.
He went to get it tanned and somehow they "lost it".
To this day we dont believe it was lost. What a shame that was.

Brad

Brad,

Great story. I'm a little surprised that you don't use any of the meat out there. Bear hunting is limited here in Wisconsin. You basically have to apply for 5 - 6 years to draw a tag. But from everything I know here, most guys keep the meat and have sausage made out of it.

Personally i have never tried bear meat.

"Wyoming regulations for bear and mountain lion are a seperate designation from deer, elk, moose, antelope, etc (BIG GAME). They are TROPHY ANIMALS.
This distinction is at least in part due to the fact that they are not thought of as "table fare". Therefore there are different regs governing them.
For instance, it is a G&F;violation to willfully leave or fail to retrieve BIG GAME meat. However, there is no such penalty for leaving bear or mountain lion meat.
You are required to contact G&F;personel within' 72 hours of harvesting a TROPHY ANIMAL.
Certainly there are those who have and will eat bear and mountain lion, but they are not thought of as food, but as a trophy."

I did not know mountain lion was in the same category.

Very nice bucks indeed hillbilly and woodsman23.

I got a small one this year (110 lbs after hanging for a day). Already had some of the sausage, and man is it good!

bfunk, here in Maine bear meat is considered to be very good to eat. Some say its greasy, but I had some a couple of years back and I thought it was some of the most juicey flavorful wild game I'd had in a long time....deliceous!

Hmm, i don't know. All the bear i have ever watched are like bottom feeders.
They eat and roll in about anything. Years ago we used to hunt bear using bait.
A rancher gave us a dead cow to use as bait. We would watch these bear literally fall asleep
on a rotting cow carcass. And fight over who got to be on and eat the cow. It took months before the cow
was finally gone. This one we got recently must have rolled in something, the smell was about all i could take.
If i ever get another one i will have it processed and send it to you guys to enjoy. :roll:

Brad

Nice deer guys.

I heat with wood...and choose to only hunt with a bent piece of wood!

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 235
*excuse me while I go barf!!* That really freaks me out because there is an annual 'Wild Game' dinner that takes place near by and I've attended it before. They had bear there but I didn't have the nerve to try it........
Now I'm SO HAPPY that I didn't! lol Grossssssss
:shut:

bfunk13 said:
Hmm, i don't know. All the bear i have ever watched are like bottom feeders.
They eat and roll in about anything. Years ago we used to hunt bear using bait.
A rancher gave us a dead cow to use as bait. We would watch these bear literally fall asleep
on a rotting cow carcass. And fight over who got to be on and eat the cow. It took months before the cow
was finally gone. This one we got recently must have rolled in something, the smell was about all i could take.
If i ever get another one i will have it processed and send it to you guys to enjoy. :roll:

Brad

I've seen cows lick some pretty disgusting things, and my dad used to eat their tounges. That that doesn't kill you..., as they say. When they make sausage, they typically cut it with 1/3 - 1/2 pork. You could probably make sausage out of garbage eating raccoons and it wouldn't taste too bad. Heck, look at what pigs eat, and 3 of my favorite food groups come from pigs...bacon, ham, and bacon.

Ha ha, sorry Prada, i knew you would like that.

Yeah i suppose you are right Dude.
I just know around here not many people eat em.
There is an overpopulation of bear in this area, no real enemies.
In northern Wyoming there are grizzly, they seem to thin out the black/brown bears.

Don't forget lobsters.....they're garbage eating bottom feeders and man, they're some good to eat!

I'll take any bear meat anyone wants to send my way! ;-) I'd actually like to get one of my own at some point. From what I understand a lot of work goes into it before you even begin the hunt...scouting an area, getting the bait in, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.