i've a confession to make..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of a brutal cold spell. i had just gotten out of the shower and was standing there drying off, shivering from the 58* air when the furnace kicked on.
i didn't want to enjoy its heat, but i did, and since then i've felt kind of dirty.

do i need therapy?
bruce

I think ya need to say some Hail Mary's or something but since I am a Baptist I suggest ya just light a fire in the stove and fugidaboutit.

OK I'll go:

During the cold snap last month the Resolute Acclaim only kept the Master Bath at 55-58.. So I put one of the newer tiny Electric heaters behind the pedestal sink. I also felt a bit less manly.

However, my kids thought is was great!. They still don't mind splitting and stacking so I guess the electric heater is here for a while.

ATB,
Mike P

I haven't even come close to beating NG dependence, furnace kicks on regularly once it gets below 20 degrees. So I would welcome a temporary dirty feeling now and again . .

We have an older Fisher in MY den and a US stove unit in the basement hooked up to the duct work....haven't had the "Furnace" come on in two years....even when it was in the single digits outside although when it was really cols the US stove was like throwing wood into a Locomotive....they did keep the house (3600 ft) at 78
Mike

mtarbert said:
We have an older Fisher in MY den and a US stove unit in the basement hooked up to the duct work....haven't had the "Furnace" come on in two years....even when it was in the single digits outside although when it was really cols the US stove was like throwing wood into a Locomotive....they did keep the house (3600 ft) at 78
Mike

If I hear our heat pump come on I am running outside and looking to the East. It broke years ago and the breaker is on "off".

Ok, my turn:

Hi my name is Mike and I'm a woodaholic. It has been just over a week since I ran dangerously low on wood and brought myself to turn up the electric baseboards in two rooms. I'm seriously starting to look at furniture we don't use all that often so I can turn off the electric again. Can my sponsor please give me a call or throw a split or two my way.

MrGriz said:
Ok, my turn:

Hi my name is Mike and I'm a woodaholic. It has been just over a week since I ran dangerously low on wood and brought myself to turn up the electric baseboards in two rooms. I'm seriously starting to look at furniture we don't use all that often so I can turn off the electric again. Can my sponsor please give me a call or throw a split or two my way.

Said it before, will say it again. March is the month where wood burners start eyeing the furniture fondly.

I had always threatened to burn my wifes "antiques" March when we ran out of wood in March over the years. Last year we ran out in late March and the office was still cold. I had the guys pull a bunch of oak table legs and bases we bought two years ago off the racks and we warmed the place right back up. A maul will make short work of an empire table base.

My furnace only comes on occasionally in the morn when I am too lazy to get up & feed the beast.
Burning moist not ready wood. But also getting free pallets from the hardware store. All Oak.
I'm ready for next year anyways.

Hogwildz said:
My furnace only comes on occasionally in the morn when I am too lazy to get up & feed the beast.
Burning moist not ready wood. But also getting free pallets from the hardware store. All Oak.
I'm ready for next year anyways.

I wonder if spent uranium rods could work in a pinch . . ..

Better yet, I should grab some drift wood from the river down near the reactors :) Prolly easiest at night, just look for the glowing wood.

Hogwildz said:
Better yet, I should grab some drift wood from the river down near the reactors :) Prolly easiest at night, just look for the glowing wood.

We have a nuke plant here in Virginia. The lake where they discharge the water is great. Fishing is super and you can swim behind the plant in the winter the water is so warm.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

We have a nuke plant here in Virginia. The lake where they discharge the water is great. Fishing is super and you can swim behind the plant in the winter the water is so warm.

Does your tan at night glow kind of green? Are the fish able to turn themselves over on the BBQ by themselves? Just curious.

My confession two days before thanks giving I removed the zone wire from my oil burner. I knew the mother in law was comming to stay
and she yanks on the thermostat like a slot machine. If she doesn't my wife will I mhate to hear the burner kick on so I removed the wire.
I never heard a I'm cold complaint. this is the first year I can honestly say the burner has never turned on for that zone. I may never connect the wire again
I confess it has turned on a few times for the upstairs zone but that is music to my ears after all it is nice to know it still works I filled the oil tank f before Thanks giving and still have 1/2 tank left . Mostly used for hot water, but I'm ok with that My $500 used stove has delivered

Eh, my furnace kicks on all the time. BUT... I never planned on heating with wood for 100% of my needs. Maintaining a fire frankly would be impossible while I'm at work. Even still, the little stove does a great job while I'm home. I have the t-stat set at 55 during the day, I'll crank it up to 65 when I get home to take the chill off the house, and then the wood stove takes over for the rest of the night. I haven't quite ran the numbers as this is my first year with the stove, but if my initial calculations are correct, and I can source free wood for the coming years, I'll have paid off the woodstove in 3 years, and then can bank 3-400 dollars in oil savings every year after that.

-Kevin

sgc said:
I haven't even come close to beating NG dependence, furnace kicks on regularly once it gets below 20 degrees. So I would welcome a temporary dirty feeling now and again . .

In all we have gone through this heating season with problems (which I plan on a long future post about) I caved in and had the NG meter turned back on do to concerns of no heat. I just recieved my electric/gas bill and it was $87 dollars which $10 was NG supply charge and $0.20 usage.

We let the furnace run for a long enough time to burn the cobwebs out and it has been off since.

I am still having issues in my head about having the NG meter turned back on :ahhh:

bruce56bb said:
a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of a brutal cold spell. i had just gotten out of the shower and was standing there drying off, shivering from the 58* air when the furnace kicked on.
i didn't want to enjoy its heat, but i did, and since then i've felt kind of dirty.

do i need therapy?
bruce

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily" - Animal House.

Plus, I gave up drinking for Lent, so drink one for me, too. :)

Said it before, will say it again. March is the month where wood burners start eyeing the furniture fondly.

I had always threatened to burn my wifes "antiques" March when we ran out of wood in March over the years. Last year we ran out in late March and the office was still cold. I had the guys pull a bunch of oak table legs and bases we bought two years ago off the racks and we warmed the place right back up. A maul will make short work of an empire table base.[/quote]

The old timer's rule of thumb said to always have at least half of your wood pile left on Groundhog day.

bruce56bb said:

do i need therapy?
bruce

No, you need to use my method - I turn the furnace up BEFORE I get into the shower. Heck, if I'm gonna live this far north, I'm not going to freeze my butt off! That nice natural gas I use is pretty clean stuff anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.