I've abandoned...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbn642blue

Jun 22, 2010
NW Ohio
My first post idea's not with standing. Thank you to all that responded. I installed a 1980 VC Vigilant in my basement. The shoulder season sucks as a first time burner. But I digress.

After reading this fine forum, I decided that my clearance would not work. (I fixed that). I also decided due to a great deal on used triple wall (moneys tight), that I would try 6 inch outlet class A chimney. Before buying about $500. in material for $50., I decided I at least try it, even if next year, I have to convert to 8 inch everything.

As I may have guessed, ( traditional winds),this proved satisfactory. But the stove, OMG puts out the heat. My wife gets too warm in this season. NW Ohio,
( temps above average here lately).

My house with basement is about 2400 sq. ft. I almost can't wait for the colder temps so I can see what this Vigilant can really do.

I know not great, but I'm burning 8 month old c/s/s oak, ash, cherry. So far lights up great. Burns well as we speak.

Thoughts?

Please flame away if I'm out of my element. Pun intended.

Pictures later. But it is MY basement.

Enjoy it and see how it goes this winter. But check that pipe monthly until you get in a groove.

Our woodstove is also in the basement which is finished off except for the ceiling and we found that building up the heat during the day makes it easier to heat the house.

We heat just under 1750 sq. feet on the main floor and close to the same down.(Ranch House) We burn Cherry,Sugar Maple and Beech, we also have a blower on the Liberty.

Welcome to the Forum

Zap

sounds like your doing good, 8 month old oak? dont think my F500 would like that.

BroBob, ( as other's), You're advice about my initial set up really paused me to think about my plans for this install. I have decided to use this as supplemental heat instead of trying to heat the whole house with a vent fan. So far so good.

Wow, do I have alot to learn. You guys and gals are great for that. Thank you so much for this forum and the people that contribute here.

Please realize you are so much richer a human being because you do so. Not religious, just a human.

ssbn642blue said:
My first post idea's not with standing. Thank you to all that responded. I installed a 1980 VC Vigilant in my basement. The shoulder season sucks as a first time burner. But I digress.

After reading this fine forum, I decided that my clearance would not work. (I fixed that). I also decided due to a great deal on used triple wall (moneys tight), that I would try 6 inch outlet class A chimney. Before buying about $500. in material for $50., I decided I at least try it, even if next year, I have to convert to 8 inch everything.

As I may have guessed, ( traditional winds),this proved satisfactory. But the stove, OMG puts out the heat. My wife gets too warm in this season. NW Ohio,

My house with basement is about 2400 sq. ft. I almost can't wait for the colder temps so I can see what this Vigilant can really do.

I know not great, but I'm burning 8 month old c/s/s oak, ash, cherry. So far lights up great. Burns well as we speak.

Thoughts?

The Vigilant is a garbage disposal for wood. It will eat anything. Check the pipe/chimney often, but you should be able to burn just fine with it.

BrowningBAR said:
ssbn642blue said:

Thoughts?

The Vigilant is a garbage disposal for wood. It will eat anything. Check the pipe/chimney often, but you should be able to burn just fine with it.

As a newbie, you'll bet I will check the chimney often.

ssbn642blue said:
Thank you so much for this forum and the people that contribute here.

Please realize you are so much richer a human being because you do so. Not religious, just a human.

Hale fellow, well met! That's the philosophy of a happy person, and clearly shared by many here. Welcome, and good luck!

ssbn642blue said:

That ash and cherry should work really swell but that oak would surely like a bit more times. You might be okay just putting in one split of oak at a time but if it were mine, that oak would stay outdoors stacked in the wind, top covered, for 2 more years.

Good luck.

BrowningBAR said:
The Vigilant is a garbage disposal for wood. It will eat anything.

Gosh, BBAR, that's like a knife through my stove's heart. She's a bit sensitive that way. While she will digest any old wet wood, she is definitely much happier with a gourmet meal in her belly. :coolsmirk:

Mine's in my basement as well, and although I know it wouldn't heat 2500 sq.ft. from that location (don't think too many stoves would), after several days warming up that slab and the big masonry chimney, it stays pretty stable in here temperature wise.

Went to bed last night it was 73º. No fire all day so far and it's still 71º. Granted, it's not very cold out, but there is much to be said for thermal mass and heat storage as long as the basement is well insulated.

ssbn642blue said:
BroBob, ( as other's), You're advice about my initial set up really paused me to think about my plans for this install. I have decided to use this as supplemental heat instead of trying to heat the whole house with a vent fan. So far so good.

Wow, do I have alot to learn. You guys and gals are great for that. Thank you so much for this forum and the people that contribute here.

It is simply a learning experience. Every day that goes by, you'll know a little more about your stove/burning techniques. Eventually people will be coming to you for advice. I have been heating and baking with wood fires since mid-seventies. That is our only heat, my only baking source. However, we are expecting the arrival of a new stove next week, and I'll be learning all over again how to manage that completely different beast. But I can barely wait.

Battenkiller said:
BrowningBAR said:
The Vigilant is a garbage disposal for wood. It will eat anything.

Gosh, BBAR, that's like a knife through my stove's heart. She's a bit sensitive that way. While she will digest any old wet wood, she is definitely much happier with a gourmet meal in her belly. :coolsmirk:

Mine's in my basement as well, and although I know it wouldn't heat 2500 sq.ft. from that location (don't think too many stoves would), after several days warming up that slab and the big masonry chimney, it stays pretty stable in here temperature wise.

Went to bed last night it was 73º. No fire all day so far and it's still 71º. Granted, it's not very cold out, but there is much to be said for thermal mass and heat storage as long as the basement is well insulated.

Battenkiller,
I think you answered my question...maybe?...my stove is on a concrete 'porch' and the concrete area around the stove is
still warm several hours after the fire goes out.
There was much discussion about not heating the concrete block of ones basement; But heating a slab (and masonary
chimney) would be ok? I see many pictures of brick hearths...they would soak up the heat also....

I was wondering if I should be doing "something" to prevent the concrete from soaking up the heat....?
Or just not worry about it and let the dog enjoy it?

Good question...

Status
Not open for further replies.