I've always cut my own wood until...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
...I found this deal. I have always utilized my US Forest Service permit ($20/yr) and scrounged my 4-5 cords. However, I came across a deal at the local lumber mill. I can fill my 6ft truck bed, neatly stacked, to the top of my topper for $40/load--all split and seasoned. The load I just brought home was all locust (except for the last few pieces we threw in to top it off). Seemed like a good deal to me. The load was approx. 6'longX3'highX4'wide. The reasoning for the $40 was because they sell it by weight--$4/hundred pounds. However, the guy said I had a 1/2ton pick up so don't bother even pulling on the scales. $40 it is then.

Attachments

• aug 019.jpg
    aug 019.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 852
Seems like a sweet deal/arrangement. If its dry and always available, I'm not sure I'd ever have more than $80 worth of wood on hand.

Nice Sully, when are YOUR saws going on SALE! :zip:

ZAP

That is a real bargain. Very nice.

This is a great example of keeping your eyes open for the right deal. I am torn at times with wood heat as I love it when deals like this come along but it pains me to know that so few people heat with wood that deals like this are available.

I am beginning to find that woodstoves are alot like exercise equipment. People buy them with good intentions and for much of the population they remain idle.

It works for the rest of us because scrounging, cutting on our own, purchasing wood all work better when the numbers are lower.

I plan to give this guy some more business. Not only is it a great deal for me, the guy was/is a pleasure to work with--and he even helps load it. My wife and her brother have a whitewater rafting business and I help them out on the weekends. So, right now I have more money than time.

From here on out, all the wood I get from him will be for next year. Even if it's green, it's still worth it.

Heck yea, I would be hoarding some of that for sure, can you say "privacy fence" ;)

Thats got to be the best deal I've heard of for actually buying wood from a business. I was just out that way too I should have picked some up! j/k Went hiking over to Dolly Sods at the beginning of the month...

pile o’ wood said:
Thats got to be the best deal I've heard of for actually buying wood from a business. I was just out that way too I should have picked some up! j/k Went hiking over to Dolly Sods at the beginning of the month...

Hope you didn't haul any wood from Dolly Sods, it's a wilderness area :lol: It sure is beautiful over there. You should come back in a few weeks when the colors are changing. The maples are already starting to turn--a low of 39 tonight!

Yes it was a great time over there... first time I had been hiking in years (growing up I hiked most of the adirondacks and white mountains but in the 10 years since college havent hiked at all). Think I definitely want to make a trip or two back that way every year. Might try to go back in a month like you say, not sure this year though. Also, if I remember correctly, Thomas is where we stopped at a restaurant called the Purple Fiddle? Is that the right town? That place was great!
39 degrees! sounds like you'll be burning wood soon!

Sounds like a sweet deal to me - green or dry.
I'm paying $130/cord for tree length. You're saving a lot of processing work at that price!
Happy burning!

And Locust to aw my favorite firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.