I've been spoiled and I may loose wood due to stupidity.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Last weekend I used my new MS290 up at the family cabin. I left it up there thinking I wouldn't need it during the week.

Last night we had a big wind storm and the neighbor lost a maple. I was able to pick up branches from it, but I can't get the ~18" trunk. It's cut in lengths too long for me to carry. AND IT"S NEXT DOOR! Maybe 60 feet away! I tried to get the wheel barrow under it and it bent it like a toy. I borrowed my father's chainsaw and the blade is extremely dull....

I think I'm going to try to roll it like a ball. It's too big to do end over end.

I thought of neighbor help, but they are a little on the un-athletic side.

Matt

I've been watching the news on Channel 7 out of Watertown, and I'm afraid my first thought on seeing all the damage was "Wow, look at all of that firewood!" Some places got really tore up by it.

Maybe you could put a rope on the logs and tie it to a truck bumper in your yard. Dare someone to take them then!

Poult

I just got nailed with them wind storms and I have my nabors tree and stuff in the alley way Thing is my chain saw took a sh t JUST MY LUCK Ill have to walk a little further to get my wood now that it down I got moist of it cut befoer it died

Got a block & tackle? Comealong? Ropes or chains and a pickup? An Ox? Anything? If I was in the neighborhood, I'd be right over to help. Rick

Attachments

• tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 781
I got a hand saw and the truck.Thing is I have to make it to work in the morning.All that wood would be for next year Plus Im running out of room for all that wood. Hex I got wood in my nabors yard if I get any more he might start charing me rent

fossil said:
Got a block & tackle? Comealong? Ropes or chains and a pickup? An Ox? Anything? If I was in the neighborhood, I'd be right over to help. Rick

Now what is that for Rick. It looks shiny and new, do you just ride it around? :)

Carl said:
...Now what is that for Rick. It looks shiny and new, do you just ride it around? :)

Yeah, mostly...parades with buxom young ladies in swim suits & sashes riding in the loader bucket. :cheese: Actually, this pic was taken in January when the little beauty really was brand new...she's already startin' to show a bit of wear & tear. I'll show her to you again next year. Rick

What about a "cant hook?" I have one and if all else failed, I'd be willing to roll the logs--but you'd hate every one of those 60'.

If you're even contemplating this, it would be much more doable with a cant hook:

I think I’m going to try to roll it like a ball.

Plus, it would help if you could trim off all protruding limbs, even with the dull saw. Much easier to roll if it's smooth-sided.

Here's a four-foot model: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317105_200317105

Just a thought....

I also like Rick's Come Along idea--but not as much as his mini-backhoe--that thing is BOSS! LOL

I ld borrow the chain saw then spend 20 quality minutes with the saw and a file.

Isn't that much work to sharpin a chain.

Why the rush ?
Are aliens gonna spirit it away unless it gets into your yard right away ?

A good price for tree removal around here is $400.00.
Each.
If you're removing it for free ....

Should I be picturing 45 unemployed men in trees descending like flies, stihls in hand, upon this poor maple ?
:)

You can rent a saw for a day, or stave it out. When I was making a lot of bows- you had to split 6' lengths. Get an axe started in one end. Put a wedge in the crack that it creates and drive that in with a maul/sledge. Stick another wedge in the crack that one opens and drive it in. Now take out the first one and put it further down the log- the split moves down the log and soon it pops open from one side.

If it's red maple- should be a snap. Sugar maple- harder but doable. I've split trees that were pretty wide across using this method.

Go down and get an electric saw and an extension cord for under a hundred bucks. Great to have around for those little jobs that don't irritate the neighbors.

TruePatriot said:
...--that thing is BOSS! LOL

Boss...TP, you're showing your age. :wow: Rick

EatenByLimestone said:
Last weekend I used my new MS290 up at the family cabin. I left it up there thinking I wouldn't need it during the week.

Last night we had a big wind storm and the neighbor lost a maple. I was able to pick up branches from it, but I can't get the ~18" trunk. It's cut in lengths too long for me to carry. AND IT"S NEXT DOOR! Maybe 60 feet away! I tried to get the wheel barrow under it and it bent it like a toy. I borrowed my father's chainsaw and the blade is extremely dull....

I think I'm going to try to roll it like a ball. It's too big to do end over end.

I thought of neighbor help, but they are a little on the un-athletic side.

Matt

Can't you split it where it sits and move it afterwards?

A file for Dad's chain is, like, two bucks.

Just ask the neighbors if it can stay there for a little while then you'll cut it up. Or you could hook your truck up to it and tear up the yard pulling it into yours.

fossil - 12 June 2008 12:26 PM
TruePatriot - 12 June 2008 05:32 AM
...--that thing is BOSS! LOL
Boss...TP, you’re showing your age. Rick

Brother Bart--Far out. Man.

Rick and BB,

Okay, guilty as charged--LOL! :lol:

I admit I'm 47 years young. But when you get to know me a little better, you will ('er, may) come to appreciate my self-deprecating sense of humor, wherein I like to revive once-popular expressions--(Word?). And the "old school" stuff is particularly funny, recycled, IMO. Being an English major with aspirations of being a writer (when I grow up?) I like to have fun with slang, popular (and once-popular) expressions, idioms, etc.... I especially enjoy learning and using slang from various mechanical/professional trades, like construction, commercial fishing (think "Deadliest Catch") etc....

But in my defense, I can honestly say that I am too young to have ever used the expression "Groovy!" seriously. LOL

It's "no thing." It's done for amusement--primarily my own, but if others "dig it," so much the better. (That "dig it" was for you, BB, Brother Man...).

It's only embarrassing when people think I think I'm seriously trying to "be cool," i.e., that I don't realize the verbiage is dated. But I'm sure you guys got the joke. ;-) I enjoy it for the same reasons people like the movie "Pulp Fiction" and similar flicks.... That whole "retro thing." The sad part is, I'm old enough to have lived through most of it.... :red:

(And Rick, I still think your "pocket backhoe" is "Boss"! LOL What make is it? I can't quite make out the name--my eyes are not as young as my sense of humor, I guess....)

But it's all good (as the "kids" say).

Ciao.

Peter/True Patriot

Gator eye said:
I ld borrow the chain saw then spend 20 quality minutes with the saw and a file.

Isn't that much work to sharpin a chain.

This is the answer, IMHO

Cheers

;-)

I used to have chains for his saw. I looked to see if I might have still had one or two!!

I ended up picking up a spare chain and going at it after work yesterday. It's sitting in a pile in my back yard now. The cut pieces were not too big, maybe 16 inches long, but they absolutely destroyed the wheel barrow I have that wasn't in the best shape to begin with. I bent the axle on it and the bed has 3" raised channels over where the wood handles are. I don't think I'll be mixing too much more cement in it. It's still just fine for moving wood for the next year or two.

Matt

TruePatriot said:
...It's only embarrassing when people think I think I'm seriously trying to "be cool," i.e., that I don't realize the verbiage is dated. But I'm sure you guys got the joke. ;-)

Right on!

TruePatriot said:
... (And Rick, I still think your "pocket backhoe" is "Boss"! LOL What make is it? I can't quite make out the name--my eyes are not as young as my sense of humor, I guess....)

Massey Ferguson GC2310 TLB...it's a gas! (well, actually it's a diesel, but you know what I mean ;-) ) Rick

fossil said:
Massey Ferguson GC2310 TLB...it's a gas! (well, actually it's a diesel, but you know what I mean ;-) ) Rick

Bitchin'

EatenByLimestone said:
I used to have chains for his saw. I looked to see if I might have still had one or two!!

I ended up picking up a spare chain and going at it after work yesterday. It's sitting in a pile in my back yard now. The cut pieces were not too big, maybe 16 inches long, but they absolutely destroyed the wheel barrow I have that wasn't in the best shape to begin with. I bent the axle on it and the bed has 3" raised channels over where the wood handles are. I don't think I'll be mixing too much more cement in it. It's still just fine for moving wood for the next year or two.

Matt

Aah well, the money you saved getting the wood will pay for a new wheel-barrow :coolsmirk:

fossil said:

Rick I must say you have all the toys....Hum lets see...That very nice BIKE in your avatar...very nice WORK SHOP...oh and that very cool WOOD SHED with the very nice place to put your LOG SPLITTER...and now the little BACKHOE....WOW. I do have to admit I am jealous

Status
Not open for further replies.