I've come to the conclusion - I hate bark!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think bark burns just fine as long as its dry. Some barks such as birch, which native americans and a few craftsmen today, make canoes with are actually waterproof. Makes splitting birch to season it vital otherwise all the water inside can't get out. Many people feel oak really needs to be seasoned 2 years to be really dry. I wouldn't be surprised if the ice under your bark is from moisture still coming from inside the log. Having it exposed to the rain and snow of winter doesn't speed the seasoning process either if your trying to burn it now.

Well, you guys know more about it than me. I just assumed that it would be seasoned after 16 months of sitting stacked out in the weather. I figured it was just wet from rain and snow. If it takes 2 years to season oak, I guess it still isn't seasoned. I probably should order split, seasoned wood for next winter, and get started this spring on the 2010 winter wood.

I had come to the same conclusion that bark was a menace to be avoided. The elm we are cutting has been down for tree years, and the bark just falls off most of it. The bark that made it to the house just sits in a pile on the porch till I can find the time to haul it to the trash. I may try the fire-starter thing with it! I would rather use it, then throw it away! :cheese: (I'm cheap) I don't like to throw anything away if I can use it to save time, energy, or money. If the bark works for fire starter, I'll have the kids do other chores when we go to cut wood, maybe something they actually would enjoy doing. (It's their job to gather the kindling in large plastic totes. :) )

bmwloco said:
We've got a big, massive, huge leather couch. Room enough for "she who must be obeyed" to curl up and me to surf the web, grab more wood, and land back on the couch with no one disturbed.

As for where in AsheVegas, near UNCA, close to downtown.

Who is "she who must be obeyed"? I hope it is your wife your talking about and not one of the two dogs your talking about.
I know woman love to hear stuff like "she who must be obeyed". They also like to hear the response, "Yes honey, you are correct".

Hmm- so bark packs more heat, eh? I've pretty much made it a point to debark the wood early on as I understand that the wood dries faster that way. I've found ice and moisture under a good deal of the bark I've peeled, plus bark makes a mess in the house..............

Doesn't bark have all the creosote, bugs and garbage in it................

So, what is being said is that bark bites?

Bark is fuel. I make no effort to either keep it or remove it. If it falls off the wood, that's one indication that the wood's seasoned. I let it fall on the ground around my splitting area, and it's my ground cover so I'm not standing in dust or mud. If it stays on the wood, it goes into the stove and burns. I don't collect up buckets of it to use as kindling, but I do pick up all the little "split ends" of wood that result from splitting...thay make wonderful fire starter. Yes, bark contributes to the mess in the house, just like ash and an occasional bug, and whatever else...heating with wood isn't without its attendant debris, that's fer sure. That's what brooms, dust pans, and vacuum cleaners are for. It's all part of the ritual, and I like it (although I really am ready for some spring weather!). Rick

precaud said:
Back when I had access to oak, I agreed with your sentiment. But for softwoods, bark can be your friend by slowing down the heating of the wood, thereby giving a more controlled burn. For the pinon pine that I use, my favorite pieces are 6 to 7 inch diameter rounds, with or without bark... but with bark prefered.

I certainly agree, for this area that douglas fir bark is much appreciated. Lots of heat output from that stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.