I've done all I can, but may be a bit short.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
Researched, ordered, and have scheduled my stove install... Three weeks until I have a functioning Woodstock Progress Hybrid!

Felled, cut, split, stacked 8 cords of wood.

About 3 cord was dead, standing, bark free when it was stacked in May. I was looking at 25-30% moisture on the dead standing. It's been very dry, it gets full sun, and TONS of wind. I'm hoping this will be good enough this season. Hoping isn't making me happy!

I'd like to get a ton of woodbricks to combine with the wood that I hope will be sufficiently dry to get me through winter and piss off the propane company! Where are the best places to get woodbricks? I'm sure the answer to that question varies by region, so maybe list where you are at and which vendors/products are best there?

As a side note... Our temps are expected to stay at 65 or below for the next few days. Instead of thinking about the demise of summer, I thought about how I could get in the woods again to finish collecting my year-three wood. I've got the sickness!

I thought about how I could get in the woods again to finish collecting my year-three wood.
I'm glad that I am not alone. Everyone has been bragging about the cords of wood they have cut recently and I just cannot get motivated to cut wood when it is so hot and muggy outside. I HATE working hard in the heat.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I'm hoping this will be good enough this season.
If you split it kinda small, like 4", the bark-less stuff probably will be good. What specie was it?
I just cannot get motivated to cut wood when it is so hot and muggy outside.
It gets hot and muggy in Canada? ==c

I split relatively small... Maple and beech, primarily. I'm hopeful, but would like the insurance of bricks this year. If nothing else, my wife will like stoking with them instead of 20" long splits.

Bfitz3 - your thinking correctly, you seem to understand what its all about right from the start, it took me 1 season of sub par before I understood what burning is all about. Hopefully you can get a ton of those wood bricks and you can show that propane company who's the boss.

I'm doing what I can, and am trying to listen to the wise sages on this site.

Working from home today...55 degrees. I have a fire going in the fireplace insert (I gasp at its inefficiency) with a kinda-punky, 7" unsplit, freshly cut log in back with my 'best hope' wood for this winter in front. No smoke from the chimney, and only a few moisture crackles. I have hope!

Still... I'm hoping for good sources of wood bricks.

Anyone?

(Burning that punky POS log is not ideal, but it's an experiment. I cleaned the chimney once this summer and may do it again before winter really sets in... You know... In October.)

Still... I'm hoping for good sources of wood bricks.
Anyone?

I've never looked or bought them, but you haven't found an answer yet...I think I read on here that some people get them at Tractor Supply? Maybe check there.

I think its fair to say that those just starting out....Its tough to get ahead. However, For those of us who have been at it for at least 3-4 yrs.....Sorry guys, unless injury or severe sickness or family disaster has taken place...I just dun't buy all the excuses I hear about not being ready for years to come. I myself work 50 plus hrs a week, raising 3 sons alone...and I don't have a problem getting ahead. Get aggressive and get ahead because God forbid illness, injury or personal disaster strikes.....you''ll be grateful your ahead.:)

Some good news... I grabbed a couple of splits from the dead standing stack... Both came in at 19% moisture! I'll be moving much of it into the garage/pole barn soon as we are entering a wetter part of the year. Hopefully it will all be under a roof within 3weeks or so.

Still, I'd like to source some bricks for insurance. Since this thread doesn't seem to be getting vendors, maybe people could list brands of bricks? I can always google the companies and see if there is a reasonably local vendor.

Please and thanks!

Some good news... I grabbed a couple of splits from the dead standing stack... Both came in at 19% moisture! I'll be moving much of it into the garage/pole barn soon as we are entering a wetter part of the year. Hopefully it will all be under a roof within 3weeks or so.

Still, I'd like to source some bricks for insurance. Since this thread doesn't seem to be getting vendors, maybe people could list brands of bricks? I can always google the companies and see if there is a reasonably local vendor.

Please and thanks!

Did you measure the moisture on the face of a fresh split log? The out side does not give a good indication of what the actual moisture content is.

Fresh split, with the measurement taken from the innermost portion of the log.

I'm giving up on advice on brands/vendors for compressed wood bricks.

I'm giving up on advice on brands/vendors for compressed wood bricks.

Are you trying to create a whole matrix of brands and vendors and locations that is searchable by name, rank, DOB, and SSN? :) Or are you just trying to find some to get started?

If you are just want some, did you look at tractor supply as I suggested? I just went to tractorsupply.com, searched for wood bricks, and they were the 2nd item that came up. And they have northern MI locations.

You might also ask at your local coop or a different farm store.

I know this topic comes up from time to time on hearth, so if you are trying to get a large list of sources, search the archives here, search the internet, and also observe the next few months around here as fall arrives and activity picks up. Also, some people are going to start realizing they have wet wood and asking where to get bio bricks. Expect to see several posts between now and Thanksgiving.

I was hoping for a economical choice in northern michgan, but thought I'd broaden the request since most folks don't know the area and are not likely to be angle to answer the first request. I did see the TSC comment, but they are coming in at $350 a ton. Ouch!

While I wasn't hoping for any sort of data base on suppliers, that would be a GREAT thing for this site to have for lots of categories... Stoves, pipe, tools, pellets, bricks, anything that decent numbers of people look for on here.

This will be my first year burning wood as a primary source. I don't know what to expect. As with anything in life, if you never have a first time, you're not trying enough new stuff!

Another idea to get more responses would be to start a new thread with a more descriptive title regarding sources of bio bricks. There might be a lot of people who know where to get bio bricks but they might not even have opened this thread since the title alone doesn't appear related to bio bricks.

Another idea to get more responses would be to start a new thread with a more descriptive title regarding sources of bio bricks. There might be a lot of people who know where to get bio bricks but they might not even have opened this thread since the title alone doesn't appear related to bio bricks.
Brilliant!

I don't know if brilliant, but if so it's usually only after I tire myself out thinking too hard instead of starting with the simple. :)

Also, even though Tractor Supply strikes me as a large company, you might get the manager to agree to a nice discount if you go for a couple pallets. I think I've heard that they allow negotiating at their individual stores.

I'll give that a whack and see if it works. Meanwhile, I started a thread. I'm hopeful, but almost 500 people looked at this thread and there isn't a great response.

My guess is that on hearth.com, all the users have years worth of wood put up so nobody has any reason to consider the insanity of buying sawdust logs! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.