I've found the ideal material to cover the top of your split woodpiles,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I don't often share secrets but for this web site I will.Always a hassle deciding what to use to cover those split stacks and keep the moisture from penetrating within.A product called Rhino Roof,roofing underlayment moisture barrier. The stuff is 7 mils,light as a feather and easy to work with,staples easily to wood stacks ,repels water beautifully and the piles innards remain dry.Not that expensive check various roofing supply companies for best pricing roll is 42 wide and about 200 feet long or thereabouts.I stumbled upon this by accident,beats tarps,black plastic etc. Very easy to work with. Very tear resistant,trust me ,I know what I'm talking about.Will not mold,mice don't like it.

Looks promising. Does it have printed text on both sides, or just one side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks promising. Does it have printed text on both sides, or just one side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the one side from what I see,my roll is 42in wide and 286 feet long,weighs 23 lbs. Stuff sheds water beautiful,so easy to handle and staple,quite tear resistant.

I would like to try some. Any chance you could provide a link to buy this?

Sounds like like I need to check it out. Any specific benefits over 6-8 mil plastic sheeting?

I'm using free 20' tarps the lumberyard gave me. Even with some holes... don't care.

I'm leaving next years stacks totally uncovered through the winter and covering only what I burn for this year.

Sounds like like I need to check it out. Any specific benefits over 6-8 mil plastic sheeting?
IMO,cheaper,easier to handle lays better more form fitting,been the plastic route,this material suits my needs better,a roll of 4mil black lplastic 65$ tractor supply ,very pliable.

roofing underlayment moisture barrier.
I have some left over from when I re-roofed this place a couple years back. I thought about using it on the stacks but wondered how it would hold up to UV rays. Might not be too big a deal, as my stacks are in the trees for the most part.
I'm using free 20' tarps the lumberyard gave me. Even with some holes... don't care.
That's my thinking right now; Use what I've got, though it may not be the best. Better to have something on the stacks, than nothing. Takes time to go out and hunt down good, free covers...and still leave time to loaf on the internet. ;lol

The first retailer I found online was $86. I understand you get quite a lot, but that's still fairly pricey. With it's narrow width, I think tarps may actually be cheaper for me. What was your price? I see you compared it to the $65 roll of 4 mil black plastic at TSC, so I'm guessing you found it cheaper than that?

link please
Rhino roof,check it out,it's rained here for over 24 hours straight and the first stack covered is bone dry.Staples like a dream with 1/2 staples.To me it's very cheap and effective and a lot of product for the money,I get mine wholesale from a roofer I know.Even if I had to pay full price a deal.

There are several variations of this synthetic roof underlayment. There is also a similar raptor liner and a slightly more expensive yet more durable one called titanium. They are all 4 foot wide and I believe you can get the rhino liner in 10 foot wide rolls as well. They have pretty much made asphalt based felt obsolete in my area and for good reason, lighter, more durable and cheaper.

The first retailer I found online was $86. I understand you get quite a lot, but that's still fairly pricey. With it's narrow width, I think tarps may actually be cheaper for me. What was your price? I see you compared it to the $65 roll of 4 mil black plastic at TSC, so I'm guessing you found it cheaper than that?

42" wide is about perfect for my 18"+/- double stacked piles.

Would probably be ideal if you have a way to still allow air circulation over the top of the stack. There can be a surprising amount of condensation collecting under the cover and dripping into the top of the stack.

Reactions: mtarbert
The top two rows of splits are my cover.
Chuck 'em to the next section and enjoy a dry column.
(To be fair I'm stacked under conifers.) Natural and lazy. lol

The top two rows of splits are my cover.
Chuck 'em to the next section and enjoy a dry column.
(To be fair I'm stacked under conifers.) Natural and lazy. lol

This is my setup as well - I have stacks on cinderblocks and landscape timbers running down a fenceline that has large conifers (too many too close together) running about 150'. It is stacked about 5' tall and a foot off the ground and so far in heavy rain (for us) the top rows are wet. Just pulled the first stuff off to stack in the garage and it is very dry below. I just put the pieces that looked wet back on the stack. Pretty sure I have close to 10 cords stacked on the fence. No clue how much we will burn in the King this winter, but I plan on cutting more rounds and splitting over the winter going into the spring and building a wood shed that will hold about 6 cords so I can get on the 2-3 year plan (should be plenty dry here in Eastern Washington). Will drop trees this winter and cut into 12' logs and neighbor can use his skidsteer to stack them until I get to them. Easier to work in one spot than running back and forth in the woods!

This is my setup as well - I have stacks on cinderblocks and landscape timbers running down a fenceline that has large conifers (too many too close together) running about 150'. It is stacked about 5' tall and a foot off the ground and so far in heavy rain (for us) the top rows are wet. Just pulled the first stuff off to stack in the garage and it is very dry below. I just put the pieces that looked wet back on the stack. Pretty sure I have close to 10 cords stacked on the fence. No clue how much we will burn in the King this winter, but I plan on cutting more rounds and splitting over the winter going into the spring and building a wood shed that will hold about 6 cords so I can get on the 2-3 year plan (should be plenty dry here in Eastern Washington). Will drop trees this winter and cut into 12' logs and neighbor can use his skidsteer to stack them until I get to them. Easier to work in one spot than running back and forth in the woods!
Are the stacks uncovered

long pile.jpeg
long pile.jpeg

These stacks are 90 feet long,4X4's treated on cinder blocks,not covered yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.