I've got another tree ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
What the heck is this.

Attachments

• Cherry.jpg
    Cherry.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 214
  • Cherry2.jpg
    Cherry2.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 218
+1 on the Cherry.

zap

Agreed, looks like all the young cherry trees on my place..

Dave looks like you got a nice place there.............

doubtingLEE said:
Not black cherry but fire cherry.

Got a few of these along the road near the ditch. Haven't noticed any back in the woods.
Thanks a lot, I've been thinking they looked like cherry for a couple years, but just never got around to asking.
I wonder if they transplant well.

Either young Black Cherry or possibly Chokecherry.Both fairly abundant on the places I cut,Chokecherry rarely gets over 3-4" diameter & 20ft tall though.Large shrub basically.If I could see the leaves and/or fruit,that'd give me a better idea.

smokinjay said:
Dave looks like you got a nice place there.............

Thanks Jay. My little slice of heaven.
8.5 acres with a power line right of way through about an acre of it and another 1/4-1/2 taken by a gas well field. Inhabited mostly by these maples, and spruce, with a few red pine and some pretty good sized white pine. I think I counted about 15 oak of various kinds, so I have to get my oak elsewhere.
Forgot, got quite a bit of popple too, but most are pretty small.

Thanks Thistle. I'll have to go see if there might be a couple leaves left on one of the trees. I don't think so, though.
I haven't noticed fruit yet, but I don't pay much attention to these in the spring. I'll try to do that this year.

Dave, quite often those will spread by themselves as they just send a root out a ways, just under the ground and then another tree will sprout from the root. We had lots of them for a while on our sand dune but they don't live long around here.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, quite often those will spread by themselves as they just send a root out a ways, just under the ground and then another tree will sprout from the root. We had lots of them for a while on our sand dune but they don't live long around here.
Ja they are invasive little bastages.
Usually do very well in distressed soils.
I cut about 2 acres of them off some managed land I own and 2 years later they were back thicker than before I cut them just from stump sprout.
Gonna have to chemically treat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.