I've Got Wood Shrinkage!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

But I guess that's good; because it means my wood is drying nicely. It could be settling also, but I think it's mainly shrinkage, because of the insanely hot weather we're having in NE Illannoyz and because my holding posts are not "bowing" out. I actually think "my wood" is getting sun bleached!!! My stacks are in the wine open and get sun about 10-11 hours a day and all the wind that blows thru my yard. I've got mostly ash and maple in my roughly 4 cords of wood that I've scrounged.............not counting the 1/2cord+ I didn't burn that's in my shed now.

I'll be finishing up my hearth this week; and then it'll be onto the ceiling support. I'm not looking forward to that in this hot weather we're having.

Only two things are better than having nice dry sun bleached wood for the Fall..........

One is having the hearth finished for the burn season.

The other is taking a picture of the hearth so we can all see it........ ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
I have a fresh batch of wood cut before leaf out this spring. I am baking it under cover. I have seen a few single row stacks that are soon to be piles around the neighborhood

During the summer months wood will indeed shrink a lot. Our wood piles, stacked at 4 1/2' high tend to be down to 4' by fall. However, that does not mean the wood is ready to burn. I like to wait another year with most wood; 2 more years with oak.

Reactions: Gark
During the summer months wood will indeed shrink a lot. Our wood piles, stacked at 4 1/2' high tend to be down to 4' by fall. However, that does not mean the wood is ready to burn. I like to wait another year with most wood; 2 more years with oak.

That's exactly what I'm seeing now!!! I'll take it then that I'm doing OK in my scrounging!!!

Right on!

My stack of red oak shrank a bit the first 12 months it was drying but hasnt really settled all that much since then. Ill test them with a moisture meter this fall and see where there at.

Happend to look at my ss trailer on the way out this morning. Couple weeks ago no gaps between the deck boards, this morning you could drop a 1/2" bolt through them in many places. Them 2x6's are going to be 2x4's pretty soon.

Reactions: PapaDave
This has to be the wood-dryingest summer yet in the 17 years we've burned. Still agree with what Dennis said though. The hot rainless weather is a good accelerator, but won't finish the job in one summer. If only the water coming out of the wood could keep the vegetable garden damp!

Status
Not open for further replies.