I've had it with my mount Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I have posted before about the problems I have had with my stove. First, everything has been replaced on it at least once, except for the baffle and ignitor. I bought the stove new in 2009 and had it installed that fall. Last year they fixed some connectors and it has been trouble free until yesterday. The problem is when you go to turn it on the thermostat just goes bank and then I have to unplug the stove and reboot it. Last month I had some error about the burn pot temp and the stove failed to start and I had to unplug it again.

I don't like the way this thing is controlled by the computer, if it's in the start up mode you simply can't just shut it down it needs to start up then it shuts off. When I get the money I'm getting rid of this headache. I would like a stove with a simple on or off. I've been heating with pellet stoves for 12 years now, my classic bay which is in the basement is so simple compared to this thing. Too be honest I wouldn't recommend the new mount Vernon to anyone. Most shops don't have a clue on how to fix this thing, when something breaks they just throw new parts at it. When I bought this thing I was told that they have a program and they hookup there lap top up to and they can diagnose the problem. I asked my repair guy about it and he said they have no such program.

Sorry for the rant, but I paid a lot for this stove and it has been a headache.

A knowledgeable and willing dealer is priceless.

How about a Sherwood???

Yup. Perfect. Dealers can buy the netbook with the program to diagnose. I guess then you have to pay a license to keep using the program or they shut it off remotely. No training, no willingness to give dealers all the info they need to succeed. All the technology wasted.

Your repair guy is full of it. One thing my dealer mentioned is that if I have them out for any kind of repair or annual maintenance, one of the things they will do is update the firmware/code for the unit if there is a new version available.

It was discussed recently in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86356/

As far as the issue you are describing with the thermostat, I'd check the wiring between the thermostat and the Mt.Vernon. This is speaking as an IT guy who, among other things, pulls cable for a living.

John97 said:
As far as the issue you are describing with the thermostat, I'd check the wiring between the thermostat and the Mt.Vernon.

Its usually the connection at the stove itself, if it has lugs crimped on the wires cut them off and secure the wires directly under the screw heads.

smoke show said:
John97 said:
As far as the issue you are describing with the thermostat, I'd check the wiring between the thermostat and the Mt.Vernon.

Its usually the connection at the stove itself, if it has lugs crimped on the wires cut them off and secure the wires directly under the screw heads.

I have mine wired that way, as I needed a longer run than was possible with the factory cable.

Last year they fixed the connections on the stove and it worked for almost a year with no problems. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Have they done what I suggested?

Another option is to eliminate the connection block and hook up directly.

just sayin.

I would also run an entire new cable. CAT5e solid-core works just fine if you have that, or just go buy 3-wire thermostat cable at Lowes/Depot.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem with your Dealer than the stove.

Eric

John97 said:
smoke show said:
John97 said:

I have mine wired that way, as I needed a longer run than was possible with the factory cable.

The longer cable may be the issues. Considering the way the thermostat displays all of the stove controls and status, there is some type of communications interface between the T-stat and the stove (RS232 or SPI) and if you extend the length of the thermostat wire, you run the risk of having communications issues between the two boards.

What type of cable did you use? How much longer is it?

My bro-in-law just bought the AE free standing this past weekend and the dealer told us that the thermostat cable should not be increased and this advice comes from the manufacturer. The dealer runs into this issue during a lot of installs because the owner wants the thermostat farther away then what the provided cable will allow.

SteveG said:
Most shops don't have a clue on how to fix this thing, when something breaks they just throw new parts at it. When I bought this thing I was told that they have a program and they hookup there lap top up to and they can diagnose the problem. I asked my repair guy about it and he said they have no such program.

Sounds like you're talking about a new car stealership!!!!!

Oh, and I'll haul it off for you no charge the next time I come North. No problem.

BradH70 said:
John97 said:
smoke show said:
John97 said:

The longer cable may be the issues. Considering the way the thermostat displays all of the stove controls and status, there is some type of communications interface between the T-stat and the stove (RS232 or SPI) and if you extend the length of the thermostat wire, you run the risk of having communications issues between the two boards.

My bro-in-law just bought the AE free standing this past weekend and the dealer told us that the thermostat cable should not be increased and this advice comes from the manufacturer. The dealer runs into this issue during a lot of installs because the owner wants the thermostat farther away then what the provided cable will allow.
I believe the manual says you can run it up to 100 feet from the stove. I have run mine right around 100 feet and have never had an issue.

tsmith said:
BradH70 said:
John97 said:
smoke show said:
John97 said:

I believe the manual says you can run it up to 100 feet from the stove. I have run mine right around 100 feet and have never had an issue.

What type of cable did you use? My brother in law will be happy to know this since he wanted to mount the t-stat a few feet farther away from the stove then the supplied cable would allow.

tjnamtiw said:
SteveG said:
Most shops don't have a clue on how to fix this thing, when something breaks they just throw new parts at it. When I bought this thing I was told that they have a program and they hookup there lap top up to and they can diagnose the problem. I asked my repair guy about it and he said they have no such program.

Sounds like you're talking about a new car stealership!!!!!

Not all dealers are created equal.

BradH70 said:
What type of cable did you use? My brother in law will be happy to know this since he wanted to mount the t-stat a few feet farther away from the stove then the supplied cable would allow.

I used solid-core CAT5e. My run is 25 feet, no problems whatsoever. Forum member balls of fire is a Quad tech and I asked his advice before I did the thermostat install.

I stripped about 2" of insulation from the individual wires, wrapped them around the screws @ the stove and then cut off the excess.

John97 said:
BradH70 said:

I used solid-core CAT5e. My run is 25 feet, no problems whatsoever. Forum member balls of fire is a Quad tech and I asked his advice before I did the thermostat install.

I stripped about 2" of insulation from the individual wires, wrapped them around the screws @ the stove and then cut off the excess.

Thanks for the info. I will pass this along to him.

My goal is to also get him to become a member of Hearth.com.

That's why I love my Meridian. It's a nice simple stove with no gadgets. All I need to fix it is a screwdriver and a vacuum.

BradH70 said:
tsmith said:
BradH70 said:
John97 said:
smoke show said:
John97" date="1325785941 said:

Three strand thermostat wire from Lowes or Home Depot. Never a problem

Last time they were here I think they cut the connectors and wired it direct. We used the correct wire when we ran the thermostat and the run is under 30 ft. I don't like the fact that everything is controlled through the thermostat control. I also don't like the self cleaning burn pot, it takes to long to shut down and start up. The stove is over controlled by the computer and has a mind of it's own.

CygnusX1 said:
That's why I love my Meridian. It's a nice simple stove with no gadgets. All I need to fix it is a screwdriver and a vacuum.

Ah, another believer in KISS.

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]Sounds like you have a bigger problem with your Dealer than the stove.

Eric

Can't agree more. As I have mentioned in past posts I actually had my dealer finally pull my stove and replace it with a brand new unit.

Good dealers are certainly the key!

SteveG said:
I don't like the fact that everything is controlled through the thermostat control.

Didn't you know that prior to purchase?

I didn't know how much that stove was controlled by the computer. I was going to get the Harman I think it was P68?, but I really didn't like the way the stove looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.