I've Talked About Prices Of Firewood In The "Hamptons" Before, Here's You're Proof....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Welcome to the "Hamptons" on Long Island ... Howard Stern can pay these prices !!!

http://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/4161875128.html

timthumb.php

Betcha it ain't seasoned, either !!! ;)

Reactions: Bluezx636
I don't buy wood but last year all oak or hickory here in southeast PA was 400. Per cord.!!!

Still cheaper than oil.

25 miles to the west, I buy a cord of uglies for $100.

This is the largest dealer near me...

firewood.gif

KaptJaq

Right Dix, leave it for Howard.

Kaptjaq, that is some extremely high priced wood. I'd offer to sell a lot at that price.

Reactions: Mr A
Not unusual to get a thimble-sized cup of coffee at an outdoor cafe in Paris for six euros ($8), either.

Like real estate, it's location, location, location.

That is pretty much the going rate for oak delivered around here too & lemme tell ya, The Hamptons this ain't! ;)
"Mixed hardwood" goes a bit cheaper. Maybe $90-100 per face cord. None of it ready to burn of course...
On the other hand the free stuff is plentiful. I passed-up an opportunity to take 2-3 cords of un-split oak this weekend from just down the street and a 1/2 cord or so of Red Elm from across town.

Reactions: Dix
That is pretty much the going rate for oak delivered around here too & lemme tell ya, The Hamptons this ain't!

Seeing you're in NW Indiana, I'd bet Chicago exerts an economic suction that vacuums up resources and raises commodity prices for quite a ways into the countryside.

Reactions: Mr A
Welcome to the "Hamptons" on Long Island ... Howard Stern can pay these prices !!!

http://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/4161875128.html

Sadly this is not outrageous. The new going price for a cord of hardwood cut and split 6-12 months in advance around here is $300/cord delivered. You can sometimes find $260-280/cord but it will have some "softer" hardwoods mixed in and most was likely only cut / split a few months ago. Extremely hard to scrounge as well. Local tree services know there is money in firewood so whatever they remove from a job they cut, split and sell themselves. Still cheaper than oil and electricity......

In Western PA the price of firewood is basically the price of labor and machinery maintenance. Unexceptional trees, even very desirable species, are everywhere and therefore essentially worthless. Standing (live or dead), they're hard to get rid of. Lying down, it still takes a while to get rid of them. Bucking and stacking adds just enough value to get people like us to come get them, eventually.

Seeing you're in NW Indiana, I'd bet Chicago exerts an economic suction that vacuums up resources and raises commodity prices for quite a ways into the countryside.

That's true for many commodities here, yes. Firewood? Not so much.
My take is that since wood from around me generally ends up in the landfill, it's more like you state below: the cost of labor & running equipment mostly, not cost of the material.
Factor in what I'll call "cultural demand" & you get the going price. Meaning if you're in an area where heating your house with wood is common, there is heavy pressure driving prices down to the labor & equipment level.
In areas where folks buy wood mainly for the ambiance of an open fire to go with a glass of wine or scotch on a snowy evening... They are not going to shop around all over to save a few bucks on a face-cord that may last them several years.

Reactions: PapaDave
In areas where folks buy wood mainly for the ambiance of an open fire to go with a glass of wine or scotch on a snowy evening... They are not going to shop around all over to save a few bucks on a face-cord that may last them several years

If that's the primary sort of demand for firewood then I would guess that a larger fraction of the price is just built-in delivery charges, and you might be able to negotiate a better deal on a larger order.

Wow this is a good price, I guess prices finally are down to more reasonable figures...

You do realize those are "face" cords, about 43 cf. They are not FULL cords, 128 cf.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Ashful
I don't buy wood but last year all oak or hickory here in southeast PA was 400. Per cord.!!!
I'm sure someone is getting $400 per cord, but that's definitely not the regular local pricing here, Pauly. Everyone I know around here is paying somewhere aorund $200/cord, and those are full cords. I'm just up the road from you, near Limerick.

Maybe it's cheaper somewhere else, but man, I'm glad I live in Michigan (sometimes).
C/S/D Oak is $165-180 around here.
It's not (this is for Dixiesmiley-laughing001.gif ), um, dry, but I take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.