IWB chimney proximity to solar panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I built a solar south facing roof at a pitch optimized for PV production in Syracuse last year. However, it has become obvious that the most convenient location for the boiler is on the south side of the house. I certainly wouldn't vent my stove that close, but am wondering if the boiler might be ok. If the town allows me to do it, does anyone have reservations about venting an EKO / Econoburn / Tarm / Greenwood (in no particular order) through the ridge above the face where the solar panels are going? Thanks...Eric

Attachments

• IMAGE_038.jpg
    IMAGE_038.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 359
Do you mean going through the roof from inside the home? Or are you popping out of your house through the wall and then going up? If you come out horizontal and then transition to vertical I recommend you come out far enough to avoid having to penetrate the roof. Works very well for me and required no roof work...

3168428199_c748af83f2.jpg

Thanks for the idea; I hadn't even considered that option. The house is just a shell at this point so all options are open. I completely gutted it and built the new roof with trusses over the old flat roof. Why anyone would build a California contemporary in Syracuse is beyond me. My concern is a burning chunk escaping the boiler, rocketing up the pipe, making it through the spark arrestor and landing on on a $700 solar panel and either destroying the panel or starting a fire. I know such an ember could escape my current chimney by cracking the ashpan on my VC with a decent fire going, but not sure if that is a concern with the boilers.

If you install a gasifier I don't think there is any chance you'd be shooting chunk out the pipe. With a downdraft boiler I think that would be very hard to accomplish!

Certainly it would never happen during normal operation. If you left the bypass damper and lower doors open too long (way too long) when starting a fire, I suppose it's possible. I've never seen any trace of sparks or cinders out of my chimney. The snow on the roof is virgin white.

One thing to consider is the potential shadow cast by your stack, and where it will land... According to the stuff I've read, ANY shadow on a PV panel, even if only covers a small part of it, will severely hurt the output of the panel... If you keep the stack to the north of your PV location, it shouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't put it where the shadow would cross your panels.

Gooserider

Thanks for the feedback, locating the boiler on that side of the house will make the wood material handling much simpler. I don't think the stack can cast a shadow if it is run through the peak, but I will run it by the solar guy. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.