IWB gasifier.... over a good EPA wood stove..... worth it ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fi-Q

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2009
Bonaventure, Quebec
Hi,

I'm fairly new to this forums (Wich I wish I have found earlier...)

Here is my situation. I've been working on the road for many years full-timing in my RV, so when it was getting cold, I was pushing for a Job in south were the rv would be just fine. But, I'm married and I have a kid now.... I'm still planning on keep traveling, but not sure if the wife will follow like she use to.

So, anyway, I'm planning on building a house here, on my land in Quebec. Not a big castle, it will be 28x34 , 2 story plus a full basement. VERY , very well insulated +/- R 28 in the wall, R 50-60 in the celling, 4 in of Soy Urethane inside full wall of the basement (R-20), 2 in of foam underneath my basement slab, and double pane energetic windows. With a lot of window facing south for passive solar heating. I will have radiant floor on 3 level.

Since I want radiant floor, I was in for a IWB, and from what I read before on the net, my choice was the new Froling Turno 3000, I was thinking of a 150k BTU (More than needed, but will eventullly heat a shop with it) plus storage. But, As I was reading around the forum here, I found out that a good Froling setup with a large storage will be around 15-20 k $ ! Ooouucchhh!! I guess I was dumb about how a boiler worth. I read a lot around and I see a lot of you guys figuring that you're getting your money back in 2-3 years. But, here in Quebec, the electricity is 0.07$ kw/h, wich is pretty cheap. So I'm getting a electric boiler anyway for a back-up 1500$ for a 100k BTU.

So I guess my questoion is, I'm I really going to see any investment back on a inside wood boiler ? I have wood for free. But I was thinking on starting with a good regular EPA stove in the basement (900$ ) with a water jacket for DHW ( My dasd is a boiler maker and had plenty of water jacket system install in the area). I will still be 10 to 20K$ from a good gasifier system. And I' still thinking that the wood stove will contribute to a good part of the heating of the house, and electricity will take over when the wood stove will not be sufficient. And I may not even be home in the witner time for the next few years.... who knows ? I'm in my hometowin right now, Been on the bench since december wich is my own decision because we just got a new baby. But with the crisis I may be home more often in the winter time... and on the other hand, I don't really think that the wind mill industry will be hit hard .....

In my house floor plan design, I will be all set for a IWB (the right distance from any wall, 8 '' cheminee) But I'm still thinking on starting with a good stove and , after evaluate the need & saving on going with a good gasiffier unit. If money wasn't an stopper I would ahve one just for the heck of being totally independant from electrcal heating, but I'm not rich.... not yet anyway......

So what do you guys think ? Any opinions, tips, joke and argument will be appreciate !

Oh!! And sorry if I made any mistake.... English is not my first language !!

Looks like you got it all figured out. Can't argue with your figures. The only suggestion is to put the wood stove on the first floor, in the main living area. Can't beat the direct heat of the wood stove in the same room. You'll loose some heat effiency by putting it in the basement.

Your English is better than my french and welcome to the boards.

I think your numbers look good. I also agree that the payback period for you may be a very long time. (depending on the shop add-on, but a good wood stove there may take care of that as well.)

My concern is the electric boiler. I didn't run the numbers but here in the states there are some places that have cheap electric. Like near where I live is Plattsburgh, NY, they pay something like 7 cents. That deal expires in 2013 then the folks are going to pay the going rate. I don't know about your area but you may want to consider that.

My first choice would be one of the very effecient condensing oil boilers. That would give you good DHW as well as backup heat.

I like your insulation plan, sounds good.

And off course I forgot to mention that having a wood stove or a boiler will give me a good excuse to buy a bigger wood lot (with the excuse that I don’t reaaly want to lumb on the land aroud the hosue as it will be the kids play ground). Then, I will definetley need a tractor… thath’s not even a question . After that, I will need a godd size garage to repair the old tractor I would have bought.... after that, realizing that this old tractor is always broke down, I will have to go and buy a brand new 4x4 one..... so then, I will need to build a barn to store the old tractor that I wom’t use very often.... but I’m not going to sell it.... So it’s crazy how a 800$ wood stove will cost me close to a 100k$ on the long run... :) (But thats only a dream spread on 40 year)

Status
Not open for further replies.