J�tul F 50 TL Rangeley - Anyone burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bub381 said:
Dealer told me The firebox size is around 2.7 cu ft in the Rangeley.

ya didn't happen to call Rocky's today, did ya?

Bub381 said:
Dealer told me The firebox size is around 2.7 cu ft in the Rangeley.

I think it was earlier measured at 2.6 cu ft if you loaded it 3" above the firebrick to 12".

I just read that BeGreen, correct! No i didn't call em today but e-mailed em, went back up a few days ago to check the Rangeley again. Liked the Castine and had money down on 1 but they said i can change if need be. Been told a bigger firebox is key to my over night burn i wanted (common sense i guess) so i'm undecided yet again.It sure looks like what we need but hard to say what trouble could show up later with it. Have to take a plunge sometime in life.When they've received their last payment is when my mind will be made up and not until. lol

IH3444 said:
Well I finally purchased a Rangeley, and got a very good buy on it....
That the stove is 3/8" thick steel formed firebox. I could reach in from the top, and by placing my hand to the side feel that there is substantial thickness to the sides. When I get more time I will perform a detailed measurement. He also stated that regular fire bricks are used, due to the fact that they are middle of the road with reflection of heat back into the firebox, to ensure a good complete combustion of the wood, and also the complete burning of the smoke gasses, to minimize not only the emissions, but also to product as clean as a burn as the stove is capable of. The firebrick must also transfer heat to the surrounding steel firebox, to ensure that the stove's BTU output is also as high as they can engineer to. He said Jotul didn't want owners to have to buy speciality bricks from them like some other manufacturers. That a stove owner could just purchase firebricks from local suppliers, and install themselfs as needed. He said that the stove's weight is 575 pounds. Wheeeee, what a stout unit, and does add credibility to the 3/8" plate thickness of the welded firebox.

Correction, the Rangeley is made from 1/4" steel according to the manual. Still nice and stout.

Does the flue heat shield come with the stove?Also when loading from the top, the gasket that seals this inner damper or chamber is close to the edge of the opening and i was wondering if it is a problem hooking wood into it and causing troubles.It is a narrow opening as stated 6" i believe.Being more careful would prob take care of this but ya never know.Also jrcurto,did you say you were heating 1000 sq ft with this stove or is that just the area of the 1st floor of a 2 story?

Status
Not open for further replies.