Jøtul C 450 Kennebec Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Today inspections included the Kennebec insert. Very nice looking stove with the optional blower. As expected Jotul quality
Stove cost $1809
Total materials and labor for the install about $3000 for a direct connect installation
Also included was a large fireplace screen to protect the small children $175
Labor for assembly and venting $450 $ 50 delivery charge

Materials 5’ oval to round flex ss liner one 90degree elbow metal black off plate and blower option

Inspection status: Failed due to the cross- sectional code venting into a 12/12 masonry flue chimney 3 sides exposed to the outside. A full liner installation revision is in the works. Before one purchases one check for the required 18” in front of the loading door.
Manufacture specs is 18” which supercedes 16” code wise.

Well, the money he saved on the insert can go towards a full liner. I paid a few hundred more for the insert, so he did well in that respect. He got ripped off on the installation though, $250 here, delivered, and installed with a direct connect. As for the direct connect, my original install was that way, and while it worked, it wasn't nearly as good as when I had them install the 6" round flex after last season. Now the thing works like a machine, and no more problems with wind.
Also, as for the 18" issue, the interesting thing is that this "requirement" is tailored by Jotul to satisfy the entire North American market, both Canada & the US. As Canadian code requires 18", and the US reqiores 16", Jotul set the stove for 18" for the entire market. Kind of a pain when the standard US hearth is 20", and the Jotul protrudes 2.5" onto the hearth, thus SCREWING most people into having to add a whopping 1/2 inch hearth extension to their hearth. I wonder how many sales they have lost? Seeing as it is a medium sized heater, 55K BTUs, and most other 55K-ish BTU inserts only require 16 inches of hearth, I have always been perplexed by their 18" requirement. It can't be for heat, because I have had mine running full bore for weeks, and the hearth doesn't get very warm. Jotul should re-test, or just do what most manufacturers do, have a 16" standard for the US, and an 18" standard for Canada. As I have a 24" hearth, its no matter, but I know of 3 people running Jotuls on 20" hearths. (yes, technically illegal, they don't seem to care, neither did the building inspector)

-- Mike

PS - nice stove though, eh?

Mike Wilson said:
Well, the money he saved on the insert can go towards a full liner. I paid a few hundred more for the insert, so he did well in that respect. He got ripped off on the installation though, $250 here, delivered, and installed with a direct connect. As for the direct connect, my original install was that way, and while it worked, it wasn't nearly as good as when I had them install the 6" round flex after last season. Now the thing works like a machine, and no more problems with wind.
Also, as for the 18" issue, the interesting thing is that this "requirement" is tailored by Jotul to satisfy the entire North American market, both Canada & the US. As Canadian code requires 18", and the US reqiores 16", Jotul set the stove for 18" for the entire market. Kind of a pain when the standard US hearth is 20", and the Jotul protrudes 2.5" onto the hearth, thus SCREWING most people into having to add a whopping 1/2 inch hearth extension to their hearth. I wonder how many sales they have lost? Seeing as it is a medium sized heater, 55K BTUs, and most other 55K-ish BTU inserts only require 16 inches of hearth, I have always been perplexed by their 18" requirement. It can't be for heat, because I have had mine running full bore for weeks, and the hearth doesn't get very warm. Jotul should re-test, or just do what most manufacturers do, have a 16" standard for the US, and an 18" standard for Canada. As I have a 24" hearth, its no matter, but I know of 3 people running Jotuls on 20" hearths. (yes, technically illegal, they don't seem to care, neither did the building inspector)

-- Mike

PS - nice stove though, eh?

Mike,

It's now Jan 2007 and I just saw your old post....I recently purchased a C450 Jotul and it should arrive in 2 weeks. I have a flush hearth and it's only 16" and I need to go out 21.5 and most likely 22 to be safe. This means making a hearth but I noticed the R value required is 2.9. How did you meet this requirement? Also, since my old hearth is flush with the floor, I thought I'd build a new one and place it over the existing hearth but this will force me to elevate not only the new hearth but also elevate the concrete floor where the insert sits so that it is flush with the new higher hearth. my question is this: how do I put a hearth under the front of an insert (but not extending all the way into the concrete area where the hearth sits) and not have the edges of the frame of the hearth pad (which is combustable) come too close to the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.