Jack the Giant Killer :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Well, I had two 'ugly' crotch pieces yesterday. Both had cable in them. Glad I'm not the one that had to saw them.

Hubby wanted me to noodle them saying "The splitter can't handle something like that."

"Ah," says I, "but it can. Just watch."

suburban_wood_a.jpg

Above: Here's our 'victim' with cable attached. The branched areas ran right around 14". Sorry, I forgot to measure the trunk section.

suburban_wood2.jpg

Above: So here's a little better closeup of that cable. That push plate looks small, doesn't it? That's because it is. :)

suburban_wood3.jpg

Above: Here's the wedge. Looking small also, isn't it? Again, it is. I think it is right around 6".

suburban_wood4.jpg

Above: Here's the wedge after running it through.

suburban_wood5a.jpg

Above: After just a little coaxing by hand, the split separated. I did attempt to noodle this (just a bit) but I'm not up to speed on doing that yet... :(

Very nice! My splitter laughs at stuff like that.

I usually just hack at those "crotch" sections with my Fiskars/Gerber Splitting Axe... usually splits in 1 to 3 hacks.

Non issue with my splitter . . . although the cable might be a bit tough to split into separate strands with the splitter.

Nice pic's! Very Well Done. Thats the way it works around here to...I have one idea and she quickly changes what I was thinking, and gets the job done.

smokinjay said:
Nice pic's! Very Well Done. Thats the way it works around here to...I have one idea and she quickly changes what I was thinking, and gets the job done.

Heh heh - Hubby had 'quit' on me about 10 rounds before this one. Yes, I could have sliced off edges from the individual branches but that stinker was heavy, I was getting tired from splitting/stacking most of the day so I just wanted to get it done. We were both pooped out by the time the day was done - and then we had to be up at 4am for something the next day. :)

Nice job Shari!

Mt Ski Bum said:
I usually just hack at those "crotch" sections with my Fiskars/Gerber Splitting Axe... usually splits in 1 to 3 hacks.
Wow, 1 to 3 hacks is wonderful! Would love to see a little video of that....

Crotch/Split = Pain

Bad Girl Shari! :shut:

GIBIR

quads said:
Nice job Shari!

Mt Ski Bum said:
Wow, 1 to 3 hacks is wonderful! Would love to see a little video of that....

if I ever get someone to take video of me, I'll post it here. Most of what I split is softwoods- like pine, fir, spruce, cottonwood, aspen, etc... so that might make a difference... migh not be able to do it in 1-3 hacks on a hardwood...

Very nice my 34 ton Brave with a Honda 9 horse is unstoppable,glad you goter done.

Shari, that is some very easy splitting wood and in no time flat you will be able to spy those easy ones. You also split it right the first time. We usually don't cut them that way but if so it is best split like you did it. We like to cut the limbs flush with the trunk so we don't have crotches like that. You might think then that those would be hard to split because you would not have a flat top on the log but it doesn't matter to the splitter. It does the job as if the log were cut straight.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shari, that is some very easy splitting wood and in no time flat you will be able to spy those easy ones. You also split it right the first time. We usually don't cut them that way but if so it is best split like you did it. We like to cut the limbs flush with the trunk so we don't have crotches like that. You might think then that those would be hard to split because you would not have a flat top on the log but it doesn't matter to the splitter. It does the job as if the log were cut straight.

Backwoods - I understand what you are saying but this is all scrounged wood (free!) and that's the way it came. The way it was cut was the right length for my stove so I opted to leave it cut the way it was but your way does sound much easier for splitting.

That is the magic of hydraulics. Being a hand splitter, I leave those in the woods and let mother nature extract the carbon herself.

The main reason I posted this was to show that one does not always have to have the biggest/best/meanest log splitter out there to accomplish the task at hand. My splitter is only rated at 12 ton with a 5.1HP B&S engine - and it splits 99.9% of what I run through it. I also know its limitations and don't beat it to death either. :)

You do just fine too Shari.

Yes, that particular piece was what we call around here Silver Maple - not the best BTU but, hey, it's still free BTU's. :) I was also working on Elm the same day.

nice pics, looks like the kind of stuff i find all the time. i also had some stringy elm this week. and i like how the splitter has the support metal, looks like a great set up.

Not to detract any integrity from the thread but anyone who's split alot of wood hydraulically knows the crotch pieces are the weakest link in a tree,and split easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.