Jacobs Pot Belly Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAEY

I have aquired an older Jacobs Pot Belly Stove manufactured in Bridgport, AL. I have no idea of it's age but it's in excellent condition. I was told that it is a coal burner normally used on the old cabooses but that with some slight alteratiions I could burn wood.
I plan on locating the stove in the corner of a 14` X 20` shed/workshop so that I can work out there during our winter months. I've been told that I can use cement board as a heat shield on both the walls and the floor but I would like confirmation on that plus distance from the corner walls needed to be safe.
This will have an up to date stainless steel, through the roof chimney system.
Thank You,
DAEY

Welcome. The stove normally would require 36" clearance in all directions. In order to achieve a clearance reduction down to 12" a ventilated NFPA 211 wall shield will be required. It can be made out of metal or cement board. Here's an article on the topic.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

What is the workshop floor material, wood or cement slab?

Reactions: DAEY
Welcome. The stove normally would require 36" clearance in all directions. In order to achieve a clearance reduction down to 12" a ventilated NFPA 211 wall shield will be required. It can be made out of metal or cement board. Here's an article on the topic.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

What is the workshop floor material, wood or cement slab?

Thank you very much for your speedy reply!
The flooring is 3/4" treated plywood hence the suggestion of cement board. Do you think that I need something other than the cement?

I'd lay down a sheet of metal then cover it with bricks on edge so that there is a 4" thick hearth. Put a frame around the bricks to keep them in place.

Reactions: DAEY
Status
Not open for further replies.