Jamestown J1000 Convection Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biohill

Nov 14, 2007
Central Ma
I recently ended up with a jamestown j1000 from 1991. After vacuuming and blowing the stove out with compressed air it burns perfectly, but the convection blower is not moving much air at all. The blower itself is only one season old and the control board is only two seasons old. I already tried turning the low fan speed pot on the board all the way ccw to turn the fan up, but it still is not moving much air. There is not change in speed as I rotate the feed knob, but the rate at which the pellets feed does seem to increase. Anyone with an experience with these that could point me towards some trouble shooting ideas? Thanks

Should be able to isolate and test the convection fan motor alone by disconnecting it and connecting it to AC line voltage, AKA lamp cord plugged into the wall outlet. Make your test cord neat by crimping connectors on the ends to mate with the fan motor wires.

I have a Baby Bear - newer, c. '2k - but probably about the same. Mine was bought used with a new replacement board that I think is upgraded from the original, but not all that different. On a warm stove, I set my control knob at 12 o'clock and bring the blower trim up until the fan is spinning up noticeably and experiment from there. With the knob straight up if nothing in the full range of the trim pot does anything to the blower, then there's another problem. Maybe bad low-temp sensor? I'd give Jamestown a call. They gave me a lot of support on the phone and by email for free. I did end up buying a couple of their parts, which are platinum plated...
Here's a photo of my board - the low blower pot is the one center-right.
Board_zps54edcb55.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.