jamestown j1000 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBRKS89

Feb 21, 2015
United States
Hi all, I really need some help. I bought a used jamestown j1000 off of a friend and can't get it to work properly. I believe the stove is an early 90s model because nothing is digital on it. I can get the stove to work for an entire day sometimes but most times it either will burn out due to too many pellets dropping no matter what temp it's at or it won't drop any pellets at all. I've replaced the control board and auger motor. What else can I do? Thanks in advance!!!

From what I gleaned from the manual I downloaded the stove has a vacuum switch. The stove failing to keep feeding could be the vac switch not staying closed to keep the auger circuit complete. Not there could be three things working or not here, bad gaskets making for a poor fire and occasionally shutting the feed down. Have you tried the dollar bill test on the door gaskets to see if the hold properly? Poor connection, partly plugged port or bad cracked vacuum hose from the firebox to the switch. Lastly a failing exhaust fan in need of a good cleaning and a couple drops of oil?

From what I gleaned from the manual I downloaded the stove has a vacuum switch. The stove failing to keep feeding could be the vac switch not staying closed to keep the auger circuit complete. Not there could be three things working or not here, bad gaskets making for a poor fire and occasionally shutting the feed down. Have you tried the dollar bill test on the door gaskets to see if the hold properly? Poor connection, partly plugged port or bad cracked vacuum hose from the firebox to the switch. Lastly a failing exhaust fan in need of a good cleaning and a couple drops of oil?

Thank you!! The biggest problem I have is that I'm away on business for another month or so. I've been away for 6 months and my wife is the only one home to look at it. I can't seem to find anyone in my area that services jamestown stoves. What would be the easiest way for me to talk her thru trying to figure out the problem? Thank you again!

The dollar bill test is very easy to perform. When stove has cooled down, place the bill in the gasket area and latch the door and see if the bill easily pulls out, repeat all the way around and on the ash bin door too. If the bill pulls out easily the problem(probably but may not be the only) is the gasket and will need to be replaced. Kits are available for under or around $10 or so. Not a hard project. Good steel brush and a flat blade screwdriver is about all that is needed as far as tools go.
The exhaust fan removal is a bit harder.

The dollar bill test is very easy to perform. When stove has cooled down, place the bill in the gasket area and latch the door and see if the bill easily pulls out, repeat all the way around and on the ash bin door too. If the bill pulls out easily the problem(probably but may not be the only) is the gasket and will need to be replaced. Kits are available for under or around $10 or so. Not a hard project. Good steel brush and a flat blade screwdriver is about all that is needed as far as tools go.
The exhaust fan removal is a bit harder.

Ok I'll give that a try. Thank you again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.