Jamestown J1000...need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i'm working on that today since i was gone for a couple days...thanks for the info midfielder! So far i always tested the stove cold...since i bypassed that high temp sensor the auger is turning and everything so that is good i could not get it to work by pressing the reset button i tried a few time..my only problem now is that i still can't adjust the intensity of the stove with the knob... when i start the stove, the blower start but it stays at the lowest speed...if i turn the knob to 6 nothing happens it stays at the same speed so if i can figure out what cause that i'll be good to go. As for the convection motor i broke the 2 connectors on the motor trying to unplug the wires, the plastic broke. after i unplugged the wires from the broken piece i still managed to hook up the wires to the motor so it should be alright...i did that when i was trying to run power from an extension cord to the motor to test if it was working...i did the same with the auger motor which was turning when i did that so i knew the auger motor was fine at that point. The guy from jamestown told me to do these test to figure out if my motors were still working. I still don't have a meter loll :rolleyes:

good news its working but i had play at bit with the convection fan wires because when the stove was hot enough for them to start they were not doing anything..as soon as i played with the 2 wires attach to the fan she started..it was a rough start but at least she started...seems like she's having a hard time haha...also when i stopped the stove she was just barely rotating and then stopped..usually she keep going i think...so i guess a new convection fans assembly would be a good thing to buy what do you think?

Hey, glad it's running. FWIW, you can replace those connectors - get a pack of them at HD, I think they're 16 ga. The crimp ends don't fit the wire well and the plastic comes off when you crimp (good to solder them too) but you can use shrink tubing to good effect. I wouldn't jump too fast to replace the convection blower. If it's like mine, it's spins on bronze bushings, not bearings. I thought that was cheap at first but as I've worked with them I realize that you can maintain the bushings more easily than bearings. My fan unit comes out pretty easily and comes off the mounting plate with just sheet metal screws. The fan housings come off the motor housing by twisting - I need two pairs of channels locks (carefully) to take them apart. Look at it closely and you'll se how it works. After that it's easy. The end caps are plastic to hold the bronze bushings and are easy to get out to remove the bushings and clean. The drive ends go into plastic sleeves that the blower wheels pull out of easily. I took mine apart and cleaned the shafts and bushings, oiled them with Tuffoil and the thing works like new. I think it's a good design meant to last a long time. I put little rubber bumpers from my local hardware store's small parts section in all the holes for the sheet metal screws, both between bracket and blower and bracket and stove, to isolate the blower acoustically from the stove. Helped noticeably with the overall quietness of the stove.

thanks for those great info! I'll get on that! I did not explained my problem well for the broken connectors... what i meant is the 2 connectors located on the convection blower motor they are on 2 different plastic plate...i broke the plastic by unplugging the wires from the connectors

Oh, I see - If you can still plug the wires into the contacts and there's no danger of them touching or shorting it seems like it should be ok if the motor runs.

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum, and realize that this is a nearly 6yo thread, but my question relates to the same stove, early 90s Jamestown J1000.
Can anyone look at their control board (07HBA - J1 manual control board C880) and ID the component located at U1, I believe it is the source of my problem, but can't read the face of it.
It would be easy to read from the side access panel with a flash light and a decent camera/phone.
The schematic in the manual does not give this level of detail.
A parts list of components or a full schematic or wiring diagram would work as well.
Thanks in advance!