Jamestown J2001T pellet stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimpster

Feb 24, 2008
Nova Scotia Canada
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a used Jamestown pellet stove insert model J2001T...serial#WH 15902.Seller said the insert was in the house when they bought it in 2008,he's not sure how old it is.. but would estimate 12 years
Seller said they used it but after a few weeks it was not burning properly so they did not use it after that and were told that they may need a combustion fan it is in the $400 range.
The seller is asking $600.00 for the stove plus the chimney liner and cap.
My question..is it worth spending the money and fix it up or should I move on and look for another insert?
Should I make a offer for less...what would be a fair price?
Stove looks to be in good condition in the pictures but I haven't seen it up close.
Anyone have any advice on this stove setup?

I'll guess it's older than '96, but for arguments sake, the stove is probably AT LEAST 12 yrs old, or more. My guess is that it's a 1994 model, which would make it 16 yrs old.

IMO, $600 for a 12-16 yr old stove that needs a $400 motor is not worth it. You probably can get parts from Jamestown, but I'd call Jamestown and give them the serial number to find out how old it really is, and the availability of parts. Then offer them $300 CASH.

1-800-456-8607

I suspect from the information they gave you it is probably a dirty stove. ie, The blower is bad because the fire is so weak and doesn't put out heat..... Oh, you know those motors they run 4-500 dollars. Combustion motors on those stoves are stocked items in major supply houses. If you can't find what you want, come on back here and we'll fix you up.

Jamestown Canada doesn't really support the stoves of the previous company made in the US, but they are good dependable stoves. Not a lot of whistles and bells, but once you are through the learning curve, you will be happy with the unit. Just get the owner's manual and clean the it completely and clean it again. Before you install, take a healthy pressured air gun to it and clean out the hidden ash. Trust me it's there.

Don't expect it to brew your coffee in the morning, but it will do what it is intended for, heating. They are manual stoves, basically, so you will need to spend sometime with it learning it's eccentricities. Once learned, you can almost set and forget. :smirk:

littlesmokey said:
I suspect from the information they gave you it is probably a dirty stove. ie, The blower is bad because the fire is so weak and doesn't put out heat..... Oh, you know those motors they run 4-500 dollars. Combustion motors on those stoves are stocked items in major supply houses. If you can't find what you want, come on back here and we'll fix you up.

Jamestown Canada doesn't really support the stoves of the previous company made in the US, but they are good dependable stoves. Not a lot of whistles and bells, but once you are through the learning curve, you will be happy with the unit. Just get the owner's manual and clean the it completely and clean it again. Before you install, take a healthy pressured air gun to it and clean out the hidden ash. Trust me it's there.

Don't expect it to brew your coffee in the morning, but it will do what it is intended for, heating. They are manual stoves, basically, so you will need to spend sometime with it learning it's eccentricities. Once learned, you can almost set and forget. :smirk:

Thanks for the info....I'm picking up the stove this week,I'll probably have a few questions for you after I get it.
I was told that the Jamestown stoves may have been made by the Amish, don't no if there's any truth to it but from what I've been hearing they were well built.
I'm looking forward to getting it up and running.
There's not much info on the older Jamestown pellet stoves ,so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hope you are happy with it. About their makers, it was made in Salt Lake City, Utah probably. No affiliation with local or national religious orders. Most parts are off the shelf type that might wear out. I think there is a member who has a copy of the old manual that might be able to share with you. I was not aware that they made the J2000 as an insert, just the J1000. Basically the same general stove with different size and capacity. I think the J2000 is a 46,0000 BTU and the J1000 is a 38,000 BTU. If you are doing a room or two either should be fine, but if you are expecting the max, make sure it is the larger unit. Check the measurements on line as they are the same today as in the past, I think.

OH, BTW, they are not the quietest stove, so when you do the initial cleaning, lubricate all moving parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.