Jamestown J2001T pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimpster

Feb 24, 2008
Nova Scotia Canada
I'm looking for a bit of input on the operation of a Jamestown 1995 J2001T pellet stove insert.I've recently purchased a used stove and it seems to be slow in dropping pellets into the fire pot?
I'm not sure if that's the way top feeders work or is there something I need to adjust.The fire seems to burn well then dies down to a very low flame when the pellets are brunt, it feeds more pellets the fire will increase to a normal flame and die down to a very low flame.
It just seems the stove is starving for pellets?I'm running it on setting 6 which is wide open and it does throw average heat but nothing like my Harman P61A?
Am I expecting to much from this stove....it's rated at 45,000 btu's ....just thought it should throw more heat on the highest settings.
I'd like to here any feed back anyone has on this stove operation.

Thanks

You might want to check the auger motor and see if it is the correct speed for the controller, make certain there is nothing blocking the feed auger, and that if there are any feed restrictors they are set for the particular pellets you are burning.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You might want to check the auger motor and see if it is the correct speed for the controller, make certain there is nothing blocking the feed auger, and that if there are any feed restrictors they are set for the particular pellets you are burning.

I've checked the auger timing it runs for 8 seconds and off for 3 seconds which is what the stove manual calls for on the highest setting of 6.
I also checked to see if there was a adjustment for different size pellets on the auger shoot...had the top off the hopper looking directly down at the auger and tube but have found nothing?
Doesn't seem to have any blockages in the tube?

Checking the timing isn't exactly the same as checking the auger motor's speed. If the controller thinks it has a 2 RPM motor and it has only a 1 RPM motor then it will deliver 1/2 the pellet charge it should.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Checking the timing isn't exactly the same as checking the auger motor's speed. If the controller thinks it has a 2 RPM motor and it has only a 1 RPM motor then it will deliver 1/2 the pellet charge it should.

Sorry guess I miss understood....I think it has a 1 RPM. auger motor according to the Jamestown web site for the year of the stove.
I not sure how to check it see if it's a 1 rpm or 2 rpm motor?
Is it stamped on the motor some place?

Whimpster said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Sorry guess I miss understood....I think it has a 1 RPM. auger motor according to the Jamestown web site for the year of the stove.

If you get the numbers off of the motor it is likely that the speed will be there and if not the motor can be cross referenced by its number and maker name.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Whimpster said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

If you get the numbers off of the motor it is likely that the speed will be there and if not the motor can be cross referenced by its number and maker name.

Just checked the auger motor, it has a red lettering on the bottom of motor,had to read it with a mirror... all the lettering is backwards lol...but it does say it's a 1 rpm motor.

Ok, right motor for the controller, that leaves maybe loose set screws joining the auger to the motor.

If that is the case the feed can be quite erratic.

My J1000 does oscillate like you are describing. On my Jamestown J1000 there is a high fuel feed adjustment. My owners manual hints this is the same for yours. Here is a copy of that page. Don't be afraid to contact Jamestown. They have been very helpful in the past.

Attachments

• JamestownJ1000Owners-Manual-Revision94.jpg
    JamestownJ1000Owners-Manual-Revision94.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 688
dac122 said:
My J1000 does oscillate like you are describing. On my Jamestown J1000 there is a high fuel feed adjustment. My owners manual hints this is the same for yours. Here is a copy of that page. Don't be afraid to contact Jamestown. They have been very helpful in the past.

Thanks for the info...I talked to a tech at Jamestown today he thinks I may have a problem with my vacuum switch.He told me to bypass the switch and it did improve my feed rate.
Think I need a vacuum switch..$44.00.I did play with the high fuel feed adjustment a wee bit but it didn't seem to make a difference....didn't turn it very much?
Maybe you could tell me what I should be expecting for stove temperatures when it's set to the maximum setting of six.
Also what should the draft settings be set at to get the best burn.This is my first experience at a top feeder stove, I'm the dark with this stove.

Thanks again.

Whimpster said:
dac122 said:

Thanks for the info...I talked to a tech at Jamestown today he thinks I may have a problem with my vacuum switch.He told me to bypass the switch and it did improve my feed rate.
Think I need a vacuum switch..$44.00.I did play with the high fuel feed adjustment a wee bit but it didn't seem to make a difference....didn't turn it very much?
Maybe you could tell me what I should be expecting for stove temperatures when it's set to the maximum setting of six.
Also what should the draft settings be set at to get the best burn.This is my first experience at a top feeder stove, I'm the dark with this stove.

Thanks again.

Since I believe my J1000 is much smaller than the J2000 the stove temps do not equate.

My manual draft slider is set to 3 but the best way is to adjust by sight. The pellets should begin to "popcorn" in your burn pot without jumping out. That means they should begin jumping or moving without jumping out. This gives the most efficient burn.

You can use the draft slider to your advantage by opening full during shutdown to clear the burn pot.

I think when you get the kinks worked out you will like your top feeder. They can burn for days without any maintenance such as burn post scraping etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.