Jamestown Pellet Stove circuit board problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewaters

Dec 6, 2008
northern utah
I have a jamestown pellet stove that quit working after a power failure, wouldnt feed pellets. This happened last winter and I dont think the fuse was blown. I pulled and checked the auger and it works fine. My guess is that it is the circuit board. I contacted Jamestown and got the name of the service shop in my area and they have no way to test the circuit board. Their solution is that I pay $500 for a new board and see if that fixes the problem. The shop is only 45 miles from where I live and I cant even pull my board and have them check it before I buy the replacement.

Does anyone have any ideas? I inherited the stove with the house and while it worked well it is a steep price to pay to get it working again.

Thanks for your help.

take your board to the shop and have them put it in a stove there...........
if it doesn't work you know it's the board.....
That is how they can test it.......
If it is the board you should buy a GOOD surge protector so it won't happen again..
on a side note make sure your vacuum switch is working, as with most stoves if no draft is sensed the auger won't feed...
maybe there is ash in the tube...

There is no ash I vacuumed out everything to start with. The place in Salt Lake is a Jamestown parts warehouse. No testing available and no one locally sells the stoves anymore. My best chance I guess at this point is to buy a used stove for $400 and swap boards. If the old one works buy a board and then i have two working stoves. You would think the company's parts supplier would have some way to test a board! $500 for a new one without knowing what the problem is for sure doesnt do me any good.

BTW when you switch the power on the green light wont come on. Dont know what's up with that but it is worth noting.

I'm confused...
you say that the auger won't feed pellets. you pulled it and it tested fine. Then I'm lost...
I'm not familiar with these stoves..
but the green light, is this the power indicator or auger indicator...

Does anything on the stove work when you flip on the power?
like the combustion blower...... any other status lights...

If Your Jamestown stove does not get a green lite when the start button is pushed - means you either lost power to the stove or it overheated and tripped the 250* sensor, some of the stoves have a resettable sensor - look for the red button in the middle of the sensor. This sensor is located on the upper rh corner of the unit (facing) and has the yellow wires going to it. There is no way it will feed without the green lite. Also check the ground wires for good/clean/tight contact.

I didn't notice which model Jamestown you had, if you mentioned it.
I had a customer with a J1000 that I had sold and installed Sep/Oct 2006.
In Feb. or so 2007, he called me to say that some of the lights were not indicating pellet feed level
I went over and discovered that the ribbon cable from the control board had not been
properly secured and had fallen towards the exposed blades of the convection fan.
The cable had been damaged by rubbing on the blades of the fan. I had ordered a new
board under warranty, fortunately it also came with the ribbon cable.
i replaced both, secured the cable the way my floor model J1000 had been secured
and the customer has been more than happy since.

Status
Not open for further replies.