Jamestown pellet stoves owners or any advise welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtalea

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Anyone here have a Jamestown pellet stove? I just purchased a old used 1 and dont know how to get it going correctly....I currently have a bottom feed pellet stove and these top feed are new to me,any help would be appreciated from anyone.

If it is an old USED jamestown? there must be is a reason the owner gave it up and the best use for it is a planter or a boat Anchor..

Cmon now Rod that aint right.....I think I am doing something wrong...with eother the controls of something

I don't have any experience with one of these, but it may be easier to help if we have a description of exactly what is being done, and what is happening. How old is the stove? Model number?

J1000 It has a fan speed knob....a start button...an on/off switch and a timer.It is a manual lighting stove. I put in some pellets add the gel lite it then after it looks like its going I push the start button.It feeds pellets (kind of fast in my eyes) and then it puts the fire out. What is the timer for? I also think the damper for fresh air was stuck closed...perhaps not gettin enough air in...My question is the is the correct procedure fot starting these type of stoves?

The time is used to manually fed pellets before the stove reaches operating temperature.

In order to light the stove, you must first turn the stove on and hit the reset button. Then you should place some pellets in the firepot, light the pellets and then turn the timer to about 10 minutes. The underfire air should be adjusted at least to the 4-5 range. They recommend that the pellet feed control knob is set to 6 when lighting, but I found it would light just as well if the feed was left at 1.

Thank You all for your help.....I got it working very well.it turned out to be the damper wasnt hooked up correctly and was starving the fire..got it to work today and was going extremely well...ordered a manual and legs for the stove.

hearthtools said:
If it is an old USED jamestown? there must be is a reason the owner gave it up and the best use for it is a planter or a boat Anchor..

Rod the reason it's an OLD USED stove is: It did the job, and it did it well for years. Because it doesn't have whistles, bells, shiny paint and a full color broshure, doesn't mean it can't do the job. Some of us can't afford the new stuff, so give us a break, OK?

I know, I have to agree on this one. Sorry EVERYONE doesn't have the money for an XXV or a Castile.

Not trying to get an attitude here, but we had a jamestown that served us problem free for 10 years. Meanwhile, I know of three people with XXV's that have had problems.

Hey Guys, I appreciate all the feedback and advise....But please lets not start a debate...everyone is entitled to their opinion,If I could afford a new stove I probably would buy 1...this is only my 2nd season with a pellet stove...and before I would spend 2500.00 on something I want to know all the ins and outs of them...Rod made a alil remark that didnt bother me...in fact if it wasnt for him I wouldnt know 1/2 of what I do know and being that he sells pelletmaster stove parts and that was my 1st purchase ,he has givin me alot of free advise on a discontinued unit.....plus I bought a manual and gasket from him..Its a reliable stove that will end up in my garage to heat my wood working shop.

I enjoy chattin with people and dont wish to piss anyone off...I love the help I receive and someday I myself might be able to assist someone who knows less then me on this subject,Cant imagine there would be such a person ,but who knows it can happen!

Not every used item is ready for the scrap heap. I know the new owner of my 5 yr old 1200i was happy to buy it used and is getting great service out of it right now. I expect it to keep going for a long while. Mtalea, kudos for keeping the flowers in the garden and putting pellets into the Jamestown instead. Good to hear it was a pretty simple fix. Hope you do real well by it.

possibly speaking out of turn here, but I think Rod wasnt actually alluding to the fact that Mtalea was too cheap to buy a new stove.....I tend to believe he was trying to communicate the fact that often used units have serious problems, and in our experience with pellet stoves, one must be VERY careful of what one buys...even though the initial investment sounds good, after you end up buying parts or bringing in someone to fix it, it doesnt end up to be a great deal. My 2 cents.

I know Rod wasnt being rude...And of course when buying used one has to be careful of what u are buying.The jamestown one I just picked up, I never saw it run,I took the guys word at face value.It turns out that he wasnt lying and I didnt think he was...I was more concerned when I started this thread that I had no clue how to used this one.My pelletmaster 3000 titan is so easy it is like pellet stoves for dummies...which I would say I fit very well. Also when it comes to money,I am not cheap..I buy the best especially when it comes to tools etc;. Once I know more perhaps next year I will buy a new stove..

Remember to leave the door open about an inch for the first 4-6 minutes. If you close it too soon, dropped pellets can cause the fire to go out. Air at start didn't seem to be so critical, it's once the start cycle is through, I seem to need to fiddle the damper control to get the right burn. Colder temps outside means the stove can be damped down a bit, eliminating the pop-corn effect at the factory recommended settings.

Corie said:
The time is used to manually fed pellets before the stove reaches operating temperature.

In order to light the stove, you must first turn the stove on and hit the reset button. Then you should place some pellets in the firepot, light the pellets and then turn the timer to about 10 minutes. The underfire air should be adjusted at least to the 4-5 range. They recommend that the pellet feed control knob is set to 6 when lighting, but I found it would light just as well if the feed was left at 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.