Jas. Graham Sunflower 12?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeuel

Jun 5, 2007
Hello, all-

Came across this site as I was looking for info on this old potbelly. We're looking to put it back into service. Everything seems sound, but I'm looking for info on this stove. It's cast with the words "Sunflower 12" and a date in the 1800's, and at the base, it's cast with "Jas. Graham Co. San Francisco". Can anyone point me in the right direction for info about this? Web searches have been pretty fruitless...

Thanks!

JD

No specifics on the stove, but generally most folks here would probably advise against trying to put an antique back in service. The stove may have been good in it's day, but that day is long past, and by todays standards, the old stoves weren't very efficient heaters, burned lots of wood, put out lots of pollutants, and didn't put out that much heat...

This is before you even start thinking about what kinds of damage and metallurgical changes the stove might have had from pure age, and the related safety issues....

Mostly we suggest using old stoves for decoration, and getting a new EPAII stove for cleaner burning efficient heat... Note that at least some models have semi-antique styling so they'll go just fine in an old-time style decor.

Gooserider

I agree with Gooserider and wonder if burning in the stove wouldn't depreciate its value. If it's in top shape, contact an antiques dealer knowledgeable in old stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.