Jaw Saw??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
While surfing the channels yesterday I came across an advertising for something called the JawSaw.

https://jawsaw.shopyardtools.com/?l...no5ceAa|pcrid|793093152|pkw|jaw saw.com|pmt|b|

Does anyone have experience with it, Opinions?
With only a 6" bar and a max cutting size of 4" I would not consider it a good firewood saw.
But, since the bar is concealed by the jaws and it is run by electricity it may be safer to use then a standard electric saw. I have a Remington that seems to run quite a long time after the trigger is released.
Actually it has enough cutting power left to cut small branches during this time.

Myself I would like to see a re-chargeable battery on it so it can be taken into the woods.

Looks like an expensive gimmick to me,especially if you are comfortable running a chainsaw. I prefer this for 4" stuff.

ES2282-Surveyors-Brush-Axe-Ditch-Bank-Blade-813008-md.jpg

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I think a demonstration video is in order, osage.

not sure how much this costs, but i bought a used B&D alligator at Sears for $25, originally $99. it has a 6" blade with a covers over both blades. the covers are more of a nuisance. but i certainly have gotten my use for it. it cut branches up to 4". its especially useful for fast cutting in crowded areas, when you cut alot of braches that fall into one area. you just have to be aware of the cord at all times, use a bright orange cord.

I work at a big blue hardware store and we use one to trim the trunks on Christmas trees. It works fine for that. Just pull the trigger.

While surfing the channels yesterday I came across an advertising for something called the JawSaw.

https://jawsaw.shopyardtools.com/?leadsource=PS192&mkwid=uno5ceAa|pcrid|793093152|pkw|jaw saw.com|pmt|b|

Does anyone have experience with it, Opinions?
With only a 6" bar and a max cutting size of 4" I would not consider it a good firewood saw.
But, since the bar is concealed by the jaws and it is run by electricity it may be safer to use then a standard electric saw. I have a Remington that seems to run quite a long time after the trigger is released.
Actually it has enough cutting power left to cut small branches during this time.

Myself I would like to see a re-chargeable battery on it so it can be taken into the woods.

I got one of these a few years ago for Christmas and it works quite well. However, it may be a little small for some jobs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Alligator-8-in-Electric-Lopper-LP1000/100465076

I did a check on Amazon and I did see that they do sell these with a rechargeable battery.
Something like this may help with the liming of trees or cutting up small trees that are already on the ground.

not sure how much this costs, but i bought a used B&D alligator at Sears for $25, originally $99. it has a 6" blade with a covers over both blades. the covers are more of a nuisance. but i certainly have gotten my use for it. it cut branches up to 4". its especially useful for fast cutting in crowded areas, when you cut alot of braches that fall into one area. you just have to be aware of the cord at all times, use a bright orange cord.

The alligator lopper is a nice tool to use for the small stuff. One useful function of the covers is that it gives a little standoff for the chain so that it doesn't touch the ground. Because of this, you can safely cut closer to the ground than you would with a normal chainsaw.

Also, there is a battery version (although I haven't tried it) if the cord is a problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...d=1383587034&sr=8-2&keywords=alligator+lopper

Status
Not open for further replies.