Jeep 1996 Cherokee SE not starting at times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
When I turn the key, everything lights up in the dash, but the starter does not turn. It started happening last year on really cold nights, 20F. Then when it got warmer, it would start up.

Sometimes when it didn't start, I would shift it into neutral and then back to park, and then it would start. Sometimes, this trick did not work.

So I am not sure if it is the starter or the neutral safety switch.

I went all summer with no problems until this morning when it was cold again, 40F, and the starter didn't turn. So I moved it to neutral and then park, and it started right up.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I don't want to start changing stuff without really knowing what is wrong. Thanks.

From what you describe I would replace the neut. safety switch. I have seen the starter relay take on water and freeze up also, once the temperature warms up it's fine.

Reactions: PapaDave
Thank you, guys, I think you are correct. I will see how a fix it now.

Will it start in neutral?

My Grand Cherokee does that. I never bother to mess with it, been like that for almost 10 years.

Will it start in neutral?

My Grand Cherokee does that. I never bother to mess with it, been like that for almost 10 years.

that's the thing, sometimes nothing gets it going. not even neutral. but if i leave it alone for a while and come back to it, it is fine.

My horn has a relay that closes @ about 31°F.
Central valley California, circa. 2001- cops show up about 3am ,
I pull the relay, then they tell me I'm parked in the wrong direction.

If the trick sometimes works, it might not be the mechanism of your problem. It sounds like not enough current is making it to the starter to turn it over. You may need a battery or have a bad connection. Clean the terminals and inspect the main wires coming off the battery for corrosion. Have your battery tested. Any of the chain auto parts stores will probably do this for free.

its the starter hands down

my wrangler was doing the same thing..next time it does it, tap on the end of the starter with a hammer
it should spin right over like new..if it does, time to replace it cuz its on borrowed time

Before shotgun troubleshooting do a voltage drop test from battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter. Check all grounds and hots.

Reactions: MasterMech
its the starter hands down

my wrangler was doing the same thing..next time it does it, tap on the end of the starter with a hammer
it should spin right over like new..if it does, time to replace it cuz its on borrowed time

Different animal if his is a 4.0 the AW4 transmission is notorious for NSS failures, the park to neutral sometimes working is a big red flag as long as the starter isn't even clicking in either gear.

thanks for the responses, guys, really appreciate it, as i don't know much about cars.

i am leaning to the NSS just because the alternator is only 3 years old with not much use. but i will try the hammer trick too.

i just need to find the time. work has been really busy. plus i am not using it much because of the gasoline shortage here in NYC.

The 1st thing I would check is for corrosion on the battery terminals. I would be very careful hitting a starter with a hammer. It was ok on the old ones, but can harm newer ones. The solenoid is probably in the starter. My bet is that it's the starter.

One other thing I forgot, when it won't start in either position put it in reverse and see if your backup lights come on, if they don't put another check towards the NSS.

A trick that I have used in the past is to hold the key in the start position and slowly pull the shifter from Park to Neutral. If you get any kind of clicking look close at the neutral switch & connectors.

Before shotgun troubleshooting do a voltage drop test from battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter. Check all grounds and hots.

Nate is right on in his post. Electrical troubleshooting is only sucessful if done in a logical, step by step manner, eliminating each component of the circuit one by one. Since the NSS seems to be a common failure, get a schematic, figure out how the switch works, and check it with a multimeter/test light. Also, the problem can be quickly isolated to the starting circuit or the safety circuit(s) quickly by applying 12V to the trigger terminal on the solenoid (small wire). If it cranks, then it's in the safety/ignition switch circuit, if not, then the battery/cables/solenoid/starter/grounds are suspect.

the info keeps coming in. you guys are great. thank you.

as for me actually doing any of the work, well, a Nor'easter is moving in today and we are still dealing with a gasoline shortage around here....

at least i don't have to start the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.