Jensen 24A Woodstove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bvstp

Jan 24, 2009
Hartford, CT
My house came with a Jensen 24A woodstove in the basement next to the forced hot air system. It has a large duct connected to the return air duct of the furnace. On the back of the woodstove there are 2 fans. One blows over the internal box pushing air to the return duct of the furnace.
The other has a smaller moter and duct coming from one of the flues. I suspect to draw in fresh air.
I have a couple questions that I'd like answered to have a better understanding on how this will effectively help heat my house.
First, the duct to the return air of the furnace is unfortunately located to the return air vent in my formal living room directely below the thermostat. That room gets warm thus causing the the rest of the house to be cooler. Should I blow this return and hope that helps the air get to other areas?
Second, I had hoped the wood stove could generate enough radiant heat for the basement. Only the front of it gets hot and keeps only the untiliy room warm. Any suggestions?
Anything you can suggest other than these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.