Jig to shorten log splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that those who have a problem with splits being too long for their stoves must not be processing their own wood? I buck my own rounds to my preferred length before the rounds hit the splitter. No need for trimming later.

Your assumption is wrong in my case. I process my own wood but I moved and got a new stove and all my splits (6-7 cords) were/are to big.

Reactions: Chestnut
Most of mine is from scrounging.. I tell my friends to tell the tree people 16-18", but still ends up being 20-24".. then there's the 3 cords I got at an auction that was all 22-24", that's mainly why I was asking how other's do it.

Sorry, Guys. No offense intended. I didn't think it through. I now see there are several reasons why splits might need to be shortened.

Especially if you tell the electric company tree trimming crew to buck the danged 100 red oak to 16" to 18" and every big round is 22" or 24". And my stove only holds 19" splits. :mad:

I think next time a friend says he's having some trees down I'll tell him to set expectations with the company over the tip.. if all logs are bucked to 16-18", the tip grows.. for any too long.. the tip shrinks.. kinda like this..

I assume that those who have a problem with splits being too long for their stoves must not be processing their own wood? I buck my own rounds to my preferred length before the rounds hit the splitter. No need for trimming later.

Perfection continues to elude me...

I use the 18" chainsaw bar length as a reference at times. Other times I am lazy and get as close as it looks it should be. Here and there are a few too long, they go in diagonal or sideways for start up fires or small in between fires. Too short is def better than too long, but I hate short ones too, feeling I am losing filled firebox space, btu's and burn times. Been getting pretty good by eye though, so all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.