Jimmy the stove pipe chimney adaptor to get it to fit into the support box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
I've staged the components to hook up this weekend. I've got the joists headed off above the stove to receive the ceiling support box. With that work done I'm going to finish the stove pipe install. I'll do the part in the attic as the next phase of the project. But one of the stove pipe components seem to not fit like it should.

The stove adapter fits nice and snug into the correct end of the double wall telescoping pipe. The telescoping ends slide into each other like they are supposed to. The chimney adapter fits nice and snug into the other end of the double wall stove pipe. But for the life of me the other end of the chimney adapter's OD seems to a tad larger than the ID of the ceiling support box. It will not seat up inside (too big). Now I could take a pair of pliers and put a crimp in the chimney adapter to give it tiny a taper enough to slide up into the ceiling support box.

But I'm afraid I'm getting something wrong here. Don't want to jimmy it if the ceiling support is defective. Then again maybe the tolerances are off sometimes and you just have to jimmy it a little. Or maybe I'm using the wrong parts or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

I can't tell you what to do, and I have no idea whether you are using the correct parts, but I've done exactly what you propose, "re-crimped" an adapter to make it fit. Actually, I've done it twice over the years, with two different installations. Regardless of what the spec's say, now and then one finds a part that simply does not fit. Or, that is what has happened to me. Use common sense and take your time, don't be in a hurry. I even had to make a few small cuts in one adaptor to be able to crimp it adequately. I used some metal snips.

Make your changes in very small steps. I made a real mess of one piece when I managed to crimp it a bit too much and it left openings in the connection: not good. I mean, by openings, the two pieces did not snug up enough to make me feel the connection was safe. I managed to salvage the pieces, but I did it by fooling with them for a couple of hours with the flat-nose pliers. Wasn't fun.

Nothing wrong with some jimmying
Different parts from different suppliers can be frustrating
If you've got a tight fit and it's an inch in but not all the way up just leave it screw it together
Your done

Okay, so I'm not alone in my experience. Very good to know. I like the tin snips idea much better than my pliers approach. Thanks!

Either get your self a pair of crimpers or many hardware stores will crimp pipe for you dont try to do it with pliers it will end up looking like crap and not fitting well.

Reactions: 7acres
What brand of chimney are you using?

On the brands I have worked with you generally attach your connector pipe adaptor to the bottom of the class A chimney and drop the class A pipe into the ceiling support box, adaptor end first. Then your adaptor will be sticking down into the room from your support box. You would then connect your double wall connector pipe to the adaptor hanging through the support box. It keeps the class A chimney centered in the support box.

I am not sure if that made sense. Hopefully it helps. Perhaps take a picture of the parts.

Like was mentioned above, what brand is the chimney and connector pipe?
It's very common to crimp stovepipe, but not the chimney adaptor. It should fit without forcing it.
Any chance its Dura-vent DVL? And the box adaptor is upside down? It's a common mistake, common enough that they actually chanced this piece to prevent it.

It is Dura-vent DVL. The adapter does not fit regardless of which end I attempt to use.

It is Dura-vent DVL. The adapter does not fit regardless of which end I attempt to use.
Is the the chimney box also Dura-vent? If so, the adaptor has several little ears on it. The ears line up with little slots that are in the support box, once its pushed in it rotates a quarter turn.
Your DVL then slips over it.

The new adaptor has no ears to lock it in, instead it has a trim ring that screws on and prevents the adaptor from falling out. It's a much better design!

Is the the chimney box also Dura-vent? If so, the adaptor has several little ears on it. The ears line up with little slots that are in the support box, once its pushed in it rotates a quarter turn.
Your DVL then slips over it.

The new adaptor has no ears to lock it in, instead it has a trim ring that screws on and prevents the adaptor from falling out. It's a much better design!

I must have the newly designed adapter then. There are no ears. And it does have a black trim ring with 4 holes for screws (supplied).

The larger side of the adaptor slips over the male end of the pipe section that's made into the box. Not inside.
The trim ring is made to hold it in there, and is secured with the screws.

The larger side of the adaptor slips over the male end of the pipe section that's made into the box. Not inside.
The trim ring is made to hold it in there, and is secured with the screws.

I did try that. Definitely no way it would fit over the inner wall of the support box pipe, as is. Unless, of course, I used tin snips on the adapter. If it's supposed to go over like you say I may well use tin snips. Would that be acceptable?

I did try that. Definitely no way it would fit over the inner wall of the support box pipe, as is. Unless, of course, I used tin snips on the adapter. If it's supposed to go over like you say I may well use tin snips. Would that be acceptable?
No, it should not be cut
I've never had one give me trouble, can you post a pic of it and the box?

Here are the photos. Flipping over the adapter and trying the other side is even less of a go. The bottom pic shows just how far off it is.

IMG_20140801_135105.jpg IMG_20140801_134821.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140801_135105.jpg
    IMG_20140801_135105.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited by a moderator:
My newest simpson ceiling support box did not have the little slots that the ears go through before giving it a quarter turn. The ears now snap into the ceiling box with no apparent way to remove the connector pipe from below.

Definitely do not cut the adapter. When in doubt, give DuraVent support a call.
Tel: 800-835-4429
Fax: 707-446-4740
[email protected]

DuraVent tech is out to lunch.

Is that a Dura-plus box? I'm not familiar with that box, we use dura-tech. I assume they use the same adaptor but not sure. The adaptor you have is for sure the newest stovepipe adaptor for dura-tech. Not sure why it won't fit, sorry.

My newest simpson ceiling support box did not have the little slots that the ears go through before giving it a quarter turn. The ears now snap into the ceiling box with no apparent way to remove the connector pipe from below.
They got rid of the ears on the adaptor. The old way prevented the pipe from being removed most of the time. The new adaptor is a huge improvement!

DuraVent tech is out to lunch.
Just off the phone with DuraVent. Adapter is defective. One side should be 6 1/8" while the opposite side is 6". Mine is 6" and 5 15/16". They're shipping me new one at no charge to me. Mystery solved!

I'm glad they cleared up the mystery.

Reactions: 7acres
New adapter arrived today. I just installed it and it slipped on nice and snug. No jimmying required! Thanks All!

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue. The inside diameter of the flue opening at the top of my insert (Osburn 2400) is a hair under 6" and the stove pipe adapter is 6". For the life of me I cant get the adapter inside the flue. Any ideas? Do they sell a crimped adapter?

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue. The inside diameter of the flue opening at the top of my insert (Osburn 2400) is a hair under 6" and the stove pipe adapter is 6". For the life of me I cant get the adapter inside the flue. Any ideas? Do they sell a crimped adapter?

Sounds like you're having a different issue from what I had. My stove pipe wasn't fitting into the chimney adapter (undersized adapter). Sounds like your stove pipe isn't fitting into your stove's flue. I'm no pro, but I'll ask just to get the info out there for the pros, what brand stove pipe are you working with?

Sounds like you're having a different issue from what I had. My stove pipe wasn't fitting into the chimney adapter (undersized adapter). Sounds like your stove pipe isn't fitting into your stove's flue. I'm no pro, but I'll ask just to get the info out there for the pros, what brand stove pipe are you working with?

I'm not sure about the brand. It's whatever came with the kit from Osburnwoodstoves.com. I'm at work now so I'll check tonight and take a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.