John Deere chain saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I noticed that John Deere has chain saws. I am in the market for a new saw. I have my heart set on the Stihl but it is like $525.

I saw that the Deere is as big as a saw but for alot less $$.

Any one know any thing about these Deere saws?

I wonder who makes them for Deere and how well they hold up vs. the Stihl and Huskawhatever.

Any info would be helpful.

I heard Deere is getting out of the "hand tool" market. Check out the chainsaw section on arboristsite.com
That said, I guess they're decent saws and maybe you can get a clearance price.

can someone tell me about Dolmar saws? There is a dealer not to far from me. I never have heard of these saws. How are they priced?

go to arboristsite.com and search. lots of postings.
5100 is a top class, pro limbing saw. 7900 is one of the best big 79cc saws. I have a 7900 and love it.
there is ahighly rated mid range, just recently posts about I think 410?

k

kevin j said:
go to arboristsite.com and search. lots of postings.
5100 is a top class, pro limbing saw. 7900 is one of the best big 79cc saws. I have a 7900 and love it.
there is ahighly rated mid range, just recently posts about I think 410?

k

5100s a limbing saw?

It's damned competant at limbing, but it is by no means a limbing saw!

There is no such thing as the 410. There is the 401 which is more the limbing saw at 39 cc's and 8.8lbs.

The 5100 is a 4hp saw that turns the chain at 14,500 rpm. 50cc. With a 16" bar I can't think of a faster saw out there..... The Husky 346XP NE is the only one close.

A buddy of mine has a JD and it is nearly identical to my Echo 500 VL(not Efco, for searching purposes). Great RPMs and pretty light weight. If it is true JD is made by Echo it's an incredibly easy saw to find parts for. The JD might work well as a every once and a while saw, but as far as a pro saw goes, I'd stick with Stihl. IMO you get what you pay for. I've got an ancient Stihl 048 that still kicks ass and runs like a champ.

The 346 NE is quite a bit more nimble than the 5100S in heft and balance but doesn't seem to have quite the low end oomfh the 5100 has buried in wood. I wouldn't trade my 346XP for a 5100 but if I had to have only 1 saw the 5100 would be in my top 3.

BTW John Deere saws are made by Efco not Echo. Two completely different companies.

I love my Husky. Moving forward I'd look at a Dolmar. With that in mind, I believe Makita's are actually Dolmars. There was some type of takeover or sale or something between the two recently. Do some searching on Fleabay.

Tripper

MadTripper said:
I love my Husky. Moving forward I'd look at a Dolmar. With that in mind, I believe Makita's are actually Dolmars. There was some type of takeover or sale or something between the two recently. Do some searching on Fleabay.

Tripper

Makita owns Dolmar, and Makita's are rebadged Dolmar's.... Made in Germany just like the other Dolmars.

My problem with the Makita's is that they don't have the rebadged 5100s!

TMonter said:
The 346 NE is quite a bit more nimble than the 5100S in heft and balance but doesn't seem to have quite the low end oomfh the 5100 has buried in wood. I wouldn't trade my 346XP for a 5100 but if I had to have only 1 saw the 5100 would be in my top 3.

BTW John Deere saws are made by Efco not Echo. Two completely different companies.

Nimble maybe....

But speed is what I was talking about.

They're really similar saws.... both 50cc.... both about 11 pounds.... both can handle a 20" bar.... but I think the Dolmar has a tiny bit more Hp's.... and costs 100 bucks less....

skinnykid said:
I noticed that John Deere has chain saws. I am in the market for a new saw. I have my heart set on the Stihl but it is like $525.

I saw that the Deere is as big as a saw but for alot less $$.

Any one know any thing about these Deere saws?

I wonder who makes them for Deere and how well they hold up vs. the Stihl and Huskawhatever.

Any info would be helpful.
My area the john deere saws are already pulled thery are using the stihl line up now!

If you can find the JD saw cheap enough, buy it. I did the same when TSC stopped carrying the Cub Cadet (also EFCO). I have been very happy with the saw. I opened up the muffler a bit and retuned...it is a top notch saw. My problem was when I went into the JD dealer just yesterday. I looked at a 62 and a 52 for my boy. Even though there were about 10 available salesmen, none came out of their little cubicles to talk to me (granted that some may only sell tractors or machinery). I finally went over and asked about the saws, and was told the price was on them (it wasn't). At this point I decided I liked my Dolmars and will go that way instead. Had a similar experience when I was tractor shopping a couple years back. It was drizzling very lightly (60 degrees) and I asked if I could run a compact tractor. Salesman said, "Not today...Come back some day when it's sunny" I also went to a Mahindra dealer and a NH dealer that day. Their reaction was different and I ended up going "blue". Needless to say, I will not go back to that dealer for anything. Sorry about the rant--I'm sure not all JD dealers are that way, but from what I've heard a few are.

day52 said:
If you can find the JD saw cheap enough, buy it. I did the same when TSC stopped carrying the Cub Cadet (also EFCO). I have been very happy with the saw. I opened up the muffler a bit and retuned...it is a top notch saw. My problem was when I went into the JD dealer just yesterday. I looked at a 62 and a 52 for my boy. Even though there were about 10 available salesmen, none came out of their little cubicles to talk to me (granted that some may only sell tractors or machinery). I finally went over and asked about the saws, and was told the price was on them (it wasn't). At this point I decided I liked my Dolmars and will go that way instead. Had a similar experience when I was tractor shopping a couple years back. It was drizzling very lightly (60 degrees) and I asked if I could run a compact tractor. Salesman said, "Not today...Come back some day when it's sunny" I also went to a Mahindra dealer and a NH dealer that day. Their reaction was different and I ended up going "blue". Needless to say, I will not go back to that dealer for anything. Sorry about the rant--I'm sure not all JD dealers are that way, but from what I've heard a few are.

This stuff always makes me chuckle....

Those that continue to do business like they did 2 years ago will perish in the economic downturn. Everyone has to get better at what they do, that is just the reality of things.

It reminds me of getting quotes from contractors out here. They come, quote you the price, and then you can't get them to call you back to do the job. These guys are dying for work, yet they are operating the same way they did 2 years ago...... and then they don't understand where their business has gone.... blame it on the economy and not themselves.

day52 said:
i kind of had the same thing happen to me wouldnt go back there for a saw!(they were more know it all but address nothing about what i needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.