1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Johnson 15HP Outboard

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by TMonter, Jun 10, 2013.

1. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I have two tanks and it does the same thing on both tanks so it's definitely not a tank issue. The other indicator is that it only seems to do this when the motor is hot. I replaced the connector to the motor yesterday so we'll see how it goes later this week.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I don't remember if that is a vacuum operated pump or mechanical. If vacuum - make sure you don't have any other leaks to deal with.
  3. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    It's a vacuum operated diaphragm pump operated off of crankcase vacuum. I sort of wish it were mechanical but this design looks simple enough. A whole new pump is about 40 bucks it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9LCH8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or I can rebuild it for about 1/3 the cost:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009TOBTI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'll likely go for the rebuild but as I understand it they are sort of a PITA to rebuild.
  4. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    Well I finally solved the problem this last week and it turned out to be a old diaphragm in the pump that had gotten soft and wouldn't suck hard enough when it got air in the line. I bought a rebuild kit online for 12 bucks, got it running good and then promply sold it after I bought a mid-90's 4-stroke mercury on craigslist.

The bonus is I sold it for a couple hundred more than I bought it for. (Bought for $350, sold for $550)