Joining the pellet world

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburg

Oct 20, 2010
Western Mass
Thanks to this Forum, I bought an Harmon accentra insert for my livingroom. It was more expensive but Obama is paying for 30%. Is there anything I should know before they deliver it? There is some kind of Rail system .. do I need that? Any options should I consider? Im gonna start my reading on pellets !

Congrats on the new stove. You do know we are going to want to see pictures once it all set and burning. right? :)

If you plan on doing your own maintenance the rail system makes sliding the insert out much easier. Depending on what they want for it? It might be worth it in the long run.

I will post pictures .. unfortunately I will have to wait a month to do so :(

Waiting for them is prep time for you. Gotta go find some good pellets. Find out whats available locally(this is the fun part) and search the forum with the brands. Most have some sort of review here. I do suggest you try a few bags of each once the stove is going. Try before you buy a large quantity is kind of the golden rule for most!

Post a list of whats out there with pricing. One of the members will offer some insite for you. We love chatting pellets and stoves.

good idea!!!! I will do that starting tomorrow ... How many tons should I get, the stove comes with 1 ton included in the price. (I live in Western Mass) But your saying I shouldnt go ahead and get the mother load until I try out a few bags before? That means I will be buying the mother load in January .. Is that smart? To wait until the cold season??

I guess I need to clean out the garage!

Actually we try to get our pellet before the season starts. But your starting late for this season. So to help with selection(you still need to find out whats available locally and prices) if you post what available the members will jump in and give some pointers for you. But Luckily pellets are found everywhere these days. Even supermarkets have them. But the best deals are found at pellet houses or bigbox store mostly.

I personally start looking for my next season pellets in February. I usually have my stash set by June. But I have the storage space that allows that. Some of the other members fly by the seat of there "pellet bucket" and buy as they go thru the season. Some just buy a ton at a time. Its kinda a crap shoot out there! But the goal is to score them when they are cheap. In the midst of winter there usually the most expensive.

The amount of fuel depends on the total heating area you trying to keep warm. We will need square-footage to guesstimate an amount.

Listen to what jay said....DO NOT buy any large quantity until you have burned them in your stove. The last thing you need as a pellet "newbie" is a ton(s) of pellets that burn great for other people, but terrible in your stove.

The way the year is shaping up, with oil & nat. prices fairly low compared to a few years ago, I don't think pellet prices will rise much, if at all. Most pellet sellers have a good stock, and have kept prices low to keep them moving.

There ARE some brands that pretty much everybody agrees are good, so if you have any of these around at a decent price, they would be the first ones to try out:

Okanagans
Barefoot
Cubex
Spruce Pointe
Hamer's Hot Ones
Dragon Mtn.
Somerset
Turmans

and there are some "private label" pellets bagged by these companies (Winter Warm, Hardwood heat) that should be good too.

Anything else you see, check on the forum with a search even before you buy a few bags, and you'll most likely get info.

Have fun!

imacman said:
Listen to what jay said....DO NOT buy any large quantity until you have burned them in your stove. The last thing you need as a pellet "newbie" is a ton(s) of pellets that burn great for other people, but terrible in your stove.

The way the year is shaping up, with oil & nat. prices fairly low compared to a few years ago, I don't think pellet prices will rise much, if at all. Most pellet sellers have a good stock, and have kept prices low to keep them moving.

There ARE some brands that pretty much everybody agrees are good, so if you have any of these around at a decent price, they would be the first ones to try out:

Okanagans
Barefoot
Cubex
Spruce Pointe
Hamer's Hot Ones
Dragon Mtn.
Somerset
Turmans

Great List... but only two i have found in my area so far.

So definatly go pellet hopping.

and there are some "private label" pellets bagged by these companies (Winter Warm, Hardwood heat) that should be good too.

Anything else you see, check on the forum with a search even before you buy a few bags, and you'll most likely get info.

Have fun!

ok, I will do that .. plus they are giving me a ton so I will have some to start with while I try to find what will work best. I will start to llok at what is around ..

I plan on storing in the garage, is that ok?

wilburg,

To help with some of your questions other then pellets. I would invest in a 4" liner brush for the chimney liner so that you can clean it on your own (Less then $20). I would also invest in the 14" Prybar to scrape the burn pot from Sears. A good ash vac or wet/dry vac with drywall filter/bag. As for the rail system it is really dependent on your install. Is the hearth raised off the floor? I use two wood 2x4 about 5 feet long with carpet stapled to the one side and I am able to slide the insert on the wood blocks and save the cost of the rail system. I didn't even price it...What are they asking for curiosity? If your hearth is raised, I think the rail system is a must. I also picked up a moving cart so in the summer I can roll the stove outside and really give it a good cleaning with high pressured air. Since I have the same stove I'll give you my opinion on pellets. I have run quiet a few brands through and I find the best pellets for my accentra insert are Okanagan, Rocky Mountain, Barefoot and Green Team. I'll back up the brands by saying good/great heat output, less clinkers (you'll understand what they are once you get your stove), much less ash and of course CLEAN BURNING...Good luck and post pics when you get it up and running!

Wilburg said:
ok, I will do that .. plus they are giving me a ton so I will have some to start with while I try to find what will work best. I will start to llok at what is around ..

I plan on storing in the garage, is that ok?

Yes, that's fine....just make sure to stack the pellets up off the floor, preferably back on a pallet, if possible.

I live in your neighborhood (just the other side of the NY border) and have the same thing.. You can see my install here and I can tell you what I personally burn but can not promise you anything as it is also about how you set it up.

I can tell you I really insulated my home and I use about 2 to 2.5 tons of a good to great pellet.

If you want any more info IM me.

Congrats on your new stove! Can't wait to see it.
That Accentra Insert is such a good lookin stove.

LIPELLETPIG: Thank you, I will get that brush and an ashvac .. I talked to my wife, and we figured that we should inviest in a good vac. My hearth is raised and is made of uneven stone .. maybe its a good idea to get the rail system, I hate fighting things, I do not know how much the cost is, I already have a moving cart.. that is a good idea! I have no idea what "invest in the 14” Prybar to scrape the burn pot from Sears" means but Im sure I will learn about that in good time. Thanks!

imacman: THANK YOU, I would never of thought of that! I will start looking for pallets for my garage immediately!

Trickyrick: Hi Nieghbor, how do you like your stove, did I make a good choice?

Tinkabranc: I will post pics when i get them

Relxn88: I dont know yet, I guess if I can get a good deal I will have them delivered, but if it is expensive, I will pick them up myself.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.