Joining the Summit cult....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
Well, after 2 weeks of debating and many hours of checking the posts on this site, we have decided to go with the PE Summit Insert!
I havent decided which dealer to go with yet, but have decided to do the instal myself. There seems to be quite a price difference in the flex liner kit, is there a nbig difference in quality? Both dealers say they do not instal a block off plate, they just insulate the damper area to prevent heat from going up...I am thinking of doing both...insulate the block off plate then put it in. The chimney has a 13x18 terra-cotta liner in it now and the fire place is quite large, 48w/32h/38d, so I should have pleanty of room to work. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Since its not heating season now, I will take pleanty of time making sure I do a good job and take pleanty of pictures to post here.

Again, we do appreciate all the help so far, this site and its members are very benificial to people without much knowledge about stoves/instal and operation. I am sure I will have more questions and ideas. (dont be afraid to tell me if one of them is a dumb idea)
JFK said it best...'So go ahead the buy the Summit you hoser......' Now that is some good advise right there...LOL

iceman....KA install job, I will probably have a few more questions for you. Matter of fact, I do...where did you get that block off plate fabricated?

I am pretty excited about this whole project, not to mention the awesome heat we will have without the use of oil.

Future PE Summit Insert owner!

I can see we'll need to have a PE Summit conference this fall. Congratulations Ray!

Welcome aboard the Summit Express!
You may want to look into using pre insulated double wall from top to the first original flue tile, then flex from there to the insert. Thats what I did anyways.
The rigid costs a lil more, but easy to install and easy to clean.
I personally did a block off plate, and put the old rockwool I pulled off the old plate from POS previous Fuego Flame insert, and re-used it on the new plate.
Just had her running last night matter of fact, from 62 to 78 in no time flat.
I think you will be quite happy with the Summit.

Get yourself a furniture dolly to help move & maneuver that beast. They are heavy.

Bravo, welcome to the club, you will not be sorry and it looks like you are going to have better quality install by doing it yourself. I have learned that a lot of companies make you pay a hell of a lot more with cheap quality stuff.... :coolcheese: I understand they need to make a buck but not a good quality expense....

Yep get an appliance dolly for that beast, don't be like a me and move it by yourself. I consider myself very strong and fit but stupid sometimes :) It only takes one bad twist of the back and BAM you are done and laying in a bed while others are enjoying your heating machine. So once again call a buddie or pay a buddie with some wood or pizza!

Like you said, take your time and do it well. You will have this beauty as long as you want to and buy some more shorts and T-shirts, you will need them for the winter months in your crib %-P

Later

RAY_PA said:
Well, after 2 weeks of debating and many hours of checking the posts on this site, we have decided to go with the PE Summit Insert!
I havent decided which dealer to go with yet, but have decided to do the instal myself. There seems to be quite a price difference in the flex liner kit, is there a nbig difference in quality? Both dealers say they do not instal a block off plate, they just insulate the damper area to prevent heat from going up...I am thinking of doing both...insulate the block off plate then put it in. The chimney has a 13x18 terra-cotta liner in it now and the fire place is quite large, 48w/32h/38d, so I should have pleanty of room to work. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Since its not heating season now, I will take pleanty of time making sure I do a good job and take pleanty of pictures to post here.

Again, we do appreciate all the help so far, this site and its members are very benificial to people without much knowledge about stoves/instal and operation. I am sure I will have more questions and ideas. (dont be afraid to tell me if one of them is a dumb idea)
JFK said it best...'So go ahead the buy the Summit you hoser......' Now that is some good advise right there...LOL

iceman....KA install job, I will probably have a few more questions for you. Matter of fact, I do...where did you get that block off plate fabricated?

I am pretty excited about this whole project, not to mention the awesome heat we will have without the use of oil.

Future PE Summit Insert owner!

I learned most of my stuff from the "HOG"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and a couple other summits owners...the tweaking stuff...there are Many people here who have helped me with various other things

Thats the reason we be here. I learned here myself.
Besides, although many think we have our noses in the air with our PE's. We are just happy, proud , satisfied owners that just love our PE's LOL.
Ok maybe we get a lil zealous at times. But I haven't met a Summit owner, or any other on here, that was not willing to help others.
Hell, lemme know where in PA your at, and I may be able to help you with the install. Wouldn't be the first time I traveled to help.
I'm cheap, I work for pepperoni pizza ;)

Hogwildz said:
Hell, lemme know where in PA your at, and I may be able to help you with the install. Wouldn't be the first time I traveled to help.

And some good beer (cuties optional) :)

BeGreen said:
Hogwildz said:

And some good beer (cuties optional) :)

Cuties & beer? Sounds like a strip joint run....I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.