Jonesred 2255

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my local Jonsered dealer to get a Total Super Bar for my MS290 as Stihl seems to have trouble manufacturing a bar that's not SH*$. Anyway, I have known the guy for a long time, just never owned a Jonsered. I asked him what he thought about Jonsered being offered at the local TSC and he said that as a dealer he doesn't stock those saws because they are homeowner models built specifically for big box stores. He started stocking Dolmar to compete. Claims the Dolmar are better quality for the same money. Take it for what it's worth. He doesn't like my MS290 either, since it's not a pro grade saw. But the MS290 was a christmas gift 7 years ago, so the little money I have put into it upgrading to a 20 inch bar has been nothing compared to upgrading to a pro model.

Jonsered 2255 = Husqvarna 455 Rancher with different covers and a straight handle (not angled). Internally, they are the same.

So if you include the 455 owners, there sure are a lot of them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Higgs
Setting price aside, if you want a significant jump in capability from the 251, look toward ~60cc saws running regular 3/8 pitch chain. Consider the Husqvarna 555 (Jonsered CS2258).

Setting price aside, if you want a significant jump in capability from the 251, look toward ~60cc saws running regular 3/8 pitch chain. Consider the Husqvarna 555 (Jonsered CS2258).

I had looked at the Husqi 460, but I hear its another homeowner saw. Even at 60.3cc. I would like a pro model. My little still does pretty well as long as I sharpen the chain every tank of gas. But I'd rather not fight through 25" rounds of Ash and Hickory with a 42cc saw.

The CS2258 is a 60cc saw? Pro, rancher, or homeowner?

I've been running my friend's 630 Super II for a few years now and he was told way back when he bought the saw that there are usually homeowner grade saws and then there are pro grade. He could have bought the cheaper Jonsey but after it was explained to him how much better the guts of the Super II was it was a no brainer. It has worked out well as this saw has been extensively used and somewhat abused over the years and still cutting great with a minimal amount of repairs. So I guess what I'm saying is if that saw is considered homeowner grade you may want to spend a few bucks more and get a pro grade?

Reactions: Jerhurt
I had looked at the Husqi 460, but I hear its another homeowner saw. Even at 60.3cc. I would like a pro model. My little still does pretty well as long as I sharpen the chain every tank of gas. But I'd rather not fight through 25" rounds of Ash and Hickory with a 42cc saw.

The CS2258 is a 60cc saw? Pro, rancher, or homeowner?

If I"m cutting a lot of 25" wood, at a minimum I want a 60cc saw running a 20" bar and 3/8 pitch chain.

Husqvarna's top of the line 60cc saw is the 562XP (XP saws are pro saws). The detuned version of the 562XP is the 555, which will save you over $100. They both specify 59.8cc displacement, but Husqvarna lists them at 4.7 hp and 4.3hp, respectively. Although not marketed as an XP saw, the 555 has a reputation for performing like one. Jonsered 2258 essentially is a red 555.

Last edited:
If I"m cutting a lot of 25" wood, at a minimum I want a 60cc saw running a 20" bar and 3/8 pitch chain.

Husqvarna's top of the line 60cc saw is the 562XP (XP saws are pro saws). The detuned version of the 562XP is the 555, which will save you over $100. They both specify 59.8cc displacement, but Husqvarna lists them at 4.7 hp and 4.3hp, respectively. Although not marketed as an XP saw, the 555 has a reputation for performing like one. Jonsered 2258 essentially is a red 555.

What's a 555 run, on average?

I need some kick. I have scores of trunks of Ash, Hickory and maple right down the street. The tree company left them there when they cleared the lot. I've been grabbing like 6 or 7 rounds a day, before my gas runs out. And it takes some muscle to cut it.

There's a suggested price for all Husqvarna saws on their website. I never paid that price at my dealer.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/555/

I'd say $600, give or take, for a 555/20". It's about the same price point a new Stihl 361 (vernerable 60cc saw) was in 2009 just before it was discontinued. On paper, its specs are close to the 361, too.

Jonsered version might be a little less expensive at a dealer. I don't guarantee it, but every time I visit a Jred dealer, they always seem to have some promotion going like a trade-in credit or discount.

Last edited:

I don't know about averages, but you can currently get one on eBay for under $500+shipping PHO, or $575 with a 20" b&c and free shipping.

I went to my local Jonsered dealer to get a Total Super Bar for my MS290 as Stihl seems to have trouble manufacturing a bar that's not SH*$. Anyway, I have known the guy for a long time, just never owned a Jonsered. I asked him what he thought about Jonsered being offered at the local TSC and he said that as a dealer he doesn't stock those saws because they are homeowner models built specifically for big box stores. He started stocking Dolmar to compete. Claims the Dolmar are better quality for the same money. Take it for what it's worth. He doesn't like my MS290 either, since it's not a pro grade saw. But the MS290 was a christmas gift 7 years ago, so the little money I have put into it upgrading to a 20 inch bar has been nothing compared to upgrading to a pro model.
My first good saw was a MS290 and I liked it considering it cost me half of what I pay for my pro saws nowadays, the last being a 562XP. And I sold it for what I paid on a runaway ebay bidding war. I upped it to a 18" bar when I first bought it.

I need some kick. I have scores of trunks of Ash, Hickory and maple right down the street. The tree company left them there when they cleared the lot. I've been grabbing like 6 or 7 rounds a day, before my gas runs out. And it takes some muscle to cut it.

I recently paid $660 for my 576XP with a 20" BC shipped and warranted for 3 years I believe. My only regret is not upgrading it to a Techlite bar at the time, not knowing anything about such a bar.

I don't know about averages, but you can currently get one on eBay for under $500+shipping PHO, or $575 with a 20" b&c and free shipping.
When I bought my Husky on eBay I asked a few sellers about just buying the head but most said that Husqvanrna requires the sale of the new head with a bar and Chain. I imagine that some will leave it off and throw it in their stock unpackaged and knock some cost off of the saw though.

When to my local Husky dealer and picked up the 460. I was ripping through 30 inch ash in seconds. Hickory, no problem. Loaded my truck in 30 minutes, give or take.

The Stihl hits CL tonight.

Reactions: CTYank
Congratulations on the new saw! A jump in power and speed certainly is satisfying.

You said it. I'm tackling much larger rounds and I think I can get 3 years ahead (15 cords, I have 8 currently) in the next year.

On a lighter note, I put my Stihl on CL for $250. I've done a good bit of work on it and it hums. I got an e mail from a guy asking if I'd take $130. _g

It's a little early to be that drunk, in my opinion. I put $97 into it in April. It's got a lot of new "guts". Maybe I should pay him to take it. People. Sheesh.

You said it. I'm tackling much larger rounds and I think I can get 3 years ahead (15 cords, I have 8 currently) in the next year.

On a lighter note, I put my Stihl on CL for $250. I've done a good bit of work on it and it hums. I got an e mail from a guy asking if I'd take $130. _g

It's a little early to be that drunk, in my opinion. I put $97 into it in April. It's got a lot of new "guts". Maybe I should pay him to take it. People. Sheesh.
I get that on CL often, a low ball offer from someone that hasn't even looked at the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.