Jonsered 2255 vs Husky 455 Rancher, is there a difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose I should post an update since this thread has been resurrected from almost a year ago. Through the feedback I got here and some research I came to the same conclusion as many here; that by any meaningful metric they are the same saw. This spring I found a good deal on a 460 and have been very pleased.

One rumor I have heard is that they keep the Jred prices lower while still maintaining the quality by using off-the-shelf components thus almost eliminating engineering and R&D costs. Example is that Husqvarna designs a brand new state of the art widget to go on the Husky saws. Jonsered now inherits the previous generation widget that is proven, in production, and in stock.

It sounds like you prefer the straight vs. angled handle. Just to provide clarity for folks who are reading this discussion, apart from covers and handle angle, the Jonsered 2255 and Husqvarna 455 indeed are exactly the same saw. Without modifications (opening muffler, engine porting, etc.), any performance differences likely result from the skill of the person tuning the saw and sharpening the chain.
I think your right the handle ha a lot to do with it ,I bought another 455 last week, [why] and just got done sharpening both,i will say this when I started the 455 its sounds like a much bigger saw, bbrrrraaannnt, ill use them both tomorrow,

I never found a running saw that was not better than an axe and crosscut that my Dad and I used while I was growing up.

It sounds like you prefer the straight vs. angled handle. Just to provide clarity for folks who are reading this discussion, apart from covers and handle angle, the Jonsered 2255 and Husqvarna 455 indeed are exactly the same saw. Without modifications (opening muffler, engine porting, etc.), any performance differences likely result from the skill of the person tuning the saw and sharpening the chain.
I think your right the handle ha a lot to do with it ,I bought another 455 last week, [why] and just got done sharpening both,i will say this when I started the 455 its sounds like a much bigger saw, bbrrrraaannnt, ill use them both tomorrow,
I never found a running saw that was not better than an axe and crosscut that my Dad and I used while I was growing up.
three feathers''' if you go into the record books youll find my 2 uncles percy sowle and louie sowle still hold the 2 man cross cut word record form about 1976-79, I think it still stands,they were on espn way back then, boy you want to talk about walking giants,uncle juniee [percy] was 6ft 5 about 460 ponds uncle louie was 6ft 9 about 345 pounds, I loved them and miss them, a big hemelock pinned my uncle juniee and crushed his legs he died a year later due to blood clot, they were real lumberjacks,

Johndams,
I am sure that you loved and were proud of your uncles. They sound like some lumberjacks that you would rather have on your side.
We are lucky to have known our relatives. I sure would have loved to have known your Uncle Percy and Louie.

Wow, this really appears to be a heated subject!

What kind of climate are you working in? Define the working conditions and that will help fine tune your saw purchase. Each brand has finicky behaviors that I have found to be very working condition specific. Otherwise, you get what you pay for and that's that. All modern saws work great when they are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.