Jonsered 625 head ?? or head game ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have an older 625 maybe purchased in the late 80's was my fathers, he has passed so it has some sentimental value. Well last time I used it a couple of years ago ran fine. It sat maybe 2 -3 yrs, and I was going to use and I decided to have it tuned up and gone through before I started it. I brought it to a local shop. Have had other saws there never a problem. I was told the saw would be ready in 3 days which has now turned into 2 weeks. They were waiting for a fuel line. Now I called and they said the saw is junk and unrepairable!! WHAT ?? I go down there and they said the head has only 100 psi of compression and it should be 130 - 150 psi. They showed me some light scratches on the piston head and they said the ring was stuck to the head and it should move freely. I said could you lightly bore or ream the cylinder wall. He said could but the ring on the head was not good. Where can I look for replacement parts? To repair he said $75/ hour for labor and about $ 225 for a head. What are your opinions ??? Should I junk it? Did not make me feel they were 100 % truthful they are a husky dealer and were trying to put me in a 455, but because of the sentimental value I am looking at trying to salvage the saw.

Thanks

ebay you can find the parts,Iam sure the saw shop is pointing you in the right direction.Something like that i would take my time on and do the work or most the work myself. racesaw.com is a good place if you rebuild it your self

if it is for occasional use and sentimental reasons, can you pull it down and see if the ring is stuck due to old fuel. free it up and go. or re ring it yourself. 100 psi is too low, but maybe totally dry or gummed from sitting.
old saws usually aren't economical to fix on a rational basis if you hire it out.
think of it as a learning experience, then the satisfaction and connection of restoring dad's old saw. you really can't go to far wrong trying it.

k

I think the ring is stuck, whats a easy way to free it ? Someone sugeest either a couple of drops of marvel mystery oil, stp, or wd-40 down the spark plug hole and just keep cranking. Before I do anything that may cause more damage I was wondering anyother suggestions.

Thanks Again,

kwikrp said:
I think the ring is stuck, whats a easy way to free it ? Someone sugeest either a couple of drops of marvel mystery oil, stp, or wd-40 down the spark plug hole and just keep cranking. Before I do anything that may cause more damage I was wondering anyother suggestions.

Thanks Again,
Its worth a shot but let it set over night before pulling on it

smokinj said:
kwikrp said:

Thanks Again,
Its worth a shot but let it set over night before pulling on it(needs rebuild to be right) but what the heck

Too bad I just sold a 630 not that long ago. I was sick of tripping over it.
I believe that you can use a head from a husky 262 or 266. They should be easier to find if you need the head.

I have some mechanical ability, but never took a 2 cycle motor apart. Repair place told me to replace head and piston assembly as 1 unit would be easier than either the head or piston. Any advice ? A diagram would be great but I can not locate one. Anyone have any ideas on getting one? Any modifications needed if I use a heady from a husky

kwikrp said:
I have some mechanical ability, but never took a 2 cycle motor apart. Repair place told me to replace head and piston assembly as 1 unit would be easier than either the head or piston. Any advice ? A diagram would be great but I can not locate one. Anyone have any ideas on getting one? Any modifications needed if I use a heady from a husky
racesaw.com and the tip on the husky heads SWEEEEEEET! will make it alot easier

went to the web site could not find it under what section ?

thank you.... any advise, any special tools needed?

Rebuilding one is easy if you have a little time, no real special tools needed. Start reading herehttp://www.arboristsite.com/ go to chainsaws and type in the search Jonsered 625

Rob

when removing the piston and ring do you need to use a ring compressor like in a car ?

kwikrp said:
I have an older 625 maybe purchased in the late 80's was my fathers, he has passed so it has some sentimental value. Well last time I used it a couple of years ago ran fine. It sat maybe 2 -3 yrs, and I was going to use and I decided to have it tuned up and gone through before I started it. I brought it to a local shop. Have had other saws there never a problem. I was told the saw would be ready in 3 days which has now turned into 2 weeks. They were waiting for a fuel line. Now I called and they said the saw is junk and unrepairable!! WHAT ?? I go down there and they said the head has only 100 psi of compression and it should be 130 - 150 psi. They showed me some light scratches on the piston head and they said the ring was stuck to the head and it should move freely. I said could you lightly bore or ream the cylinder wall. He said could but the ring on the head was not good. Where can I look for replacement parts? To repair he said $75/ hour for labor and about $ 225 for a head. What are your opinions ??? Should I junk it? Did not make me feel they were 100 % truthful they are a husky dealer and were trying to put me in a 455, but because of the sentimental value I am looking at trying to salvage the saw.

Thanks

Just an option . . . if you're looking at getting this saw fixed up for sentimental reasons, don't need it done in a rush and want it done economically . . . you might want to stop by your local high school vocational school and speak with the Small Engine Instructor. Typically these instructors have experience in the field and they may be interested in helping you get this older saw going. The schools around here aren't real speedy, but my past experience has shown that they do an excellent job and you pretty much only pay for the parts as this is a learning experience for the students.

kwikrp said:
when removing the piston and ring do you need to use a ring compressor like in a car ?

On 2 strokes, I can usually get the piston in by compressing it by hand a second person makes it easier, it may help to get on for this, since its pretty small and there probably isn't room for 2 people. 2 stroke rebuilding is easier since you don't have to worry about cams.

That link doesn't work. Says you have to be signed in.

Dill said:
That link doesn't work. Says you have to be signed in.
forgot you have to be a member its eazy to sign up

will the saw start with the chain break on or off or both. I am thinking mybe the chainbreak is not working properly. I was told it had 100 + psi for compression I thought that would fire up, maybe run badly. I even shot some ether into the plug hole and cranked but nothing. I think the ring has been compressed and has not worked free.

I wish I had kept the 625 that I had. I ran over the operating handle with a tractor but the jug and carb were unscathed.

I gave it to a guy last year and I bet he couldn't do anything with it. A guy never knows what to keep or toss.

Status
Not open for further replies.