Jonsered CS 2172 Pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Guys, have a lead on a Jonsered CS 2172 with 24" Bar. Suppose to have only 10 hours on it and like new condition for $500. Seller said it cost $850 before tax when purchased new in Fall 2015 from dealer. For a 70cc class pro saw do you guys think this is a good choice and also a good/great price. Would you be wary? Any known issues with these saws? Don't truly need with the 562XP I just bought but would like to also have a 70cc class saw if the condition/price is right. Thanks, Ken.

Last edited:
I have one ( 2166 with transfer mod making it a 2172 identical saws) and it's an awesome saw.

Same as a Husky 372xp.

Can't go wrong with it. Tried and proven design with some updates being that it's an xtorq model but basically been around many many years. More proven in longevity than your 562xp. Will have noticeably more power ( and weight) than your 562. It's a Non auto tune saw. Has a very fat and old fashioned feel when running it compared to your 562.

Probably the best anti vibe of any 70cc saw out there. Also darn good air filter system mine can cut all day , all weekend, several cords of wood and usually not a bit of dust on the air filter.

If that saw is like new with only 10 hours on it then I'd jump on it. Great price on a classic legendary 70cc pro saw.

Are you sure you need a 70 cc though with a 562 around ? Ya the Jred will pull a longer bar and does have more HP it's not that far apart. I'm guessing about a 1 hp difference but you gain around 2 or 3 pounds in saw.

It's not very often I run my 2166/2172 all day. For me it gets heavy.

But I could probably run a 562 all day.

Last edited:
Yeah Woodhog I probably don't really need it. But...I like saws and I like power and if $500 is an amazing deal figure I don't have much to lose and could always resell it if wanted...probably for a profit. Have you heard of any issues with the Crank Bearing? Read somewhere in my research that this was maybe a common problem with this particular saw.

Have you heard of any issues with the Crank Bearing?

No I have not. I've got a lot of hours on mine. In the hundreds of hours and no issues. I've thought about putting a new top end on it because of the high usage but the piston looks good and the compression is good. So I'm still running it.

Most likely if this model suffered a crank bearing failure it's because of user error ( wrong fuel /air as in bad tuning or mixed gas done wrong). They are very robustly built saws. If your worried about burning a saw up, or spinning a bearing, I'd be more worried about that in your 562, not the 2172

The Husky 372 /365 and red version Jonsered 2172 / 2166 are very proven saws. Who knows how much longer they will be around since they are a non auto tune saw. And and older one, heavier and bulkier, than newer designed stuff.

For what it's worth between a few people in my extended family and folks I cut with over the last 20 years there have been a handful of 372s and never , not once , was there an issue that I recall. Extremely reliable well built saw

Last edited:
No I have not. I've got a lot of hours on mine. In the hundreds of hours and no issues. I've thought about putting a new top end on it because of the high usage but the piston looks good and the compression is good. So I'm still running it.

Most likely if this model suffered a crank bearing failure it's because of user error ( wrong fuel /air as in bad tuning or mixed gas done wrong). They are very robustly built saws. If your worried about burning a saw up, or spinning a bearing, I'd be more worried about that in your 562, not the 2172

The Husky 372 /365 and red version Jonsered 2172 / 2166 are very proven saws. Who knows how much longer they will be around since they are a non auto tune saw. And and older one, heavier and bulkier, than newer designed stuff.

For what it's worth between a few people in my extended family and folks I cut with over the last 20 years there have been a handful of 372s and never , not once , was there an issue that I recall. Extremely reliable well built saw
Thanks you for the input. With regard to the price, do you think that is a 'can't pass up price' if the condition is as stated? he says he needs a larger saw to work with his mill and has medical issues.

If your in the market for a 70cc saw then yes a 10 hour like new 2172 at $500 is a great deal. His price of $850 new is probably fairly accurate from a local dealer. It may be exaggerated by $50 bucks or so. I'm guessing my Jred dealer is selling those for closer to $750 to $800 new.

I'm assuming it comes with a like new bar?

Either way if it's low hours and like new it's a great price.

No I didn't. No longer on CL so presume someone snagged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.