Jonsered sprocket teeth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Ok, so my good old Stihl 036 Pro had an electrical issue...now remedied. However, I convinced wife to let me get a new saw, so I bought a Jonsered 2172 today. Any thoughts on 7 tooth or 8 tooth sprockets? And before you move this BeGreen, I'm looking to get a more refined user group input. Some of those "saw" threads appear to have more experts than saws made...

Ok, so my good old Stihl 036 Pro had an electrical issue...now remedied. However, I convinced wife to let me get a new saw, so I bought a Jonsered 2172 today. Any thoughts on 7 tooth or 8 tooth sprockets? And before you move this BeGreen, I'm looking to get a more refined user group input. Some of those "saw" threads appear to have more experts than saws made...
Still better to post in the Gears section. Things are pretty quiet there now.

I have a 2013 Husqvarna 359 pro saw with a 20" bar, the saw is a animal, but some of the internals are crap (for pro model) I'm having issues with at first what I thought was a clogged carb is turning into a warped intake mount / cracked bellow. Check your intake and see if its plastic, the assembly piece in question is after the carb but before the engine block

8 pin sprocket = faster, if you have the HP to pull it. But the answer to that will depend on bar length, a 7 pin can swing a longer chain, before bogging.

Slow and steady vs fast and touchy.

I gotta whole bunch of Ported Stihl's, but that's a whole nother category...

Cheap thing to try. Buy the sprocket and run it. If you’ll like it great if not your only out a few bucks.

I will run one on a saw if I go with the smallest bar or smaller than the average bar for the saw. It’s kinda fun...

8 pin sprocket = faster, if you have the HP to pull it. But the answer to that will depend on bar length, a 7 pin can swing a longer chain, before bogging.

Just to throw another decision at you...
Skip tooth chains can also allow you to up a tooth in your sprocket,and or run a longer bar.
Longer bar can mean less bending over if that is an issue.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
so I bought a Jonsered 2172 today. Any thoughts on 7 tooth or 8 tooth sprockets? ...

Long time Johnny fan , Husky fan , Swedish saw fan. Nothing against Stihl I have a few of those too....but my 2172 is my go to saw. It started as a 2166 and I did the transfer mod making it a identical 2172. Part for part identicle. Then a muffler mod and removed the base gasket to bump compression.retuned. I pull a 28 inch bar with a 8 tooth no problem. I like it better with a 24 inch or 20 inch bar but a 28 is fine. I’d go 8 tooth on that saw even stock. Best 70cc saw on the market in my opinion.

Great response and a good reason to get a 70cc plus size saw if your cutting a fair amount of wood and even if your only pulling a 20 inch bar. Lots of firewood guys will buy saws like stihl 290s or Husky ranchers with 20 inch bars and they will do the job well enough but be rather slow. If you get yourself a nice condition 70cc saw of any brand and run 8 tooth rim on it you will be amazed at how fast that 70cc saw cuts with 20 inch bar on it. And really a 20 inch bar is about right for most firewood cutters. You can cut trees 38 inches to 40 inches with a 20 inch bar