Jotel 550 vs. Lopi Declaration (Avalon perfect fit)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grkmec

Nov 11, 2007
Stamford, CT
Trying to decide between these two models. Here are my questions:

1. Is one better quality than the other?
2. Which one has a larger viewable fire?
3. Which one will put out more heat into my 2,500 sq foot floor

Lastly, do I need flexkit or SS liner?

grkmec said:
Trying to decide between these two models. Here are my questions:

1. Is one better quality than the other?
2. Which one has a larger viewable fire?
3. Which one will put out more heat into my 2,500 sq foot floor

Lastly, do I need flexkit or SS liner?
I do not know about the Jotel 550 but the declaration will not keep up with 2500 sf.
And yes you need a full liner.

They're both good stoves. The Jotul will likely provide more radiant heat than the Travis unit since more of it is out on the hearth. I believe both are rated for around 2500 sq. ft. but there are many factors that can affect heating capacity.
Budman does your install have a block off plate at the bottom? This is important at all times but I feel it would be extra important with the flush mount Lopi due to the fact that 90% of the stove is tucked into the firebox.
The Lopi window is fairly small in my opinion, though I can't really compare since I've never seen the Jotul in real life.
You definately need a SS liner.

The Jotul will likely provide more radiant heat than the Travis unit since more of it is out on the hearth.

Are you sure you are not referring to the Jotul C 450 Kennebec? The C 550 Rockland looks like a flush mount insert. The manual says it protrudes 1 1/8" onto the hearth, while the Lopi Declaration protrudes 1 1/4", so the two inserts are very similar in that regard. The 550 is a brand-new product and has probably had very few installations to date.

Shane said:
They're both good stoves. The Jotul will likely provide more radiant heat than the Travis unit since more of it is out on the hearth. I believe both are rated for around 2500 sq. ft. but there are many factors that can affect heating capacity.
Budman does your install have a block off plate at the bottom? This is important at all times but I feel it would be extra important with the flush mount Lopi due to the fact that 90% of the stove is tucked into the firebox.
The Lopi window is fairly small in my opinion, though I can't really compare since I've never seen the Jotul in real life.
Shane,I have block off plate and insulated liner and heat my entire home 1800 sf very comfortable
but 2500 sf i think you would be pushing this stove.

thanks for the replies. Anyone on the forums actually have the Jotel 550?

My local guy is saying he has 4 units on order coming in January and could install in about a month. Does anyone have actual sq inches of viewable area between these units?

Also, I know a couple people recommended full SS liner. Can you please tell me why? I don't mind spending the extra money, but my local guy is telling me its a waste of money.

Getting the Jotul 550 installed Jan. 11. It has been a long wait but looking forward to it. Don't know anyone who has it installed yet but they must be out there somewhere.

therm said:
The Jotul will likely provide more radiant heat than the Travis unit since more of it is out on the hearth.

Are you sure you are not referring to the Jotul C 450 Kennebec? The C 550 Rockland looks like a flush mount insert. The manual says it protrudes 1 1/8" onto the hearth, while the Lopi Declaration protrudes 1 1/4", so the two inserts are very similar in that regard. The 550 is a brand-new product and has probably had very few installations to date.

Yep you're right. They're both flush so that point is moot. The rockland is a nice looking stove. What is the price like?

budman said:
Shane said:
Shane,I have block off plate and insulated liner and heat my entire home 1800 sf very comfortable
but 2500 sf i think you would be pushing this stove.

That is on the upper end of listed capacity so you're probably right.

grkmec said:
thanks for the replies. Anyone on the forums actually have the Jotel 550?

My local guy is saying he has 4 units on order coming in January and could install in about a month. Does anyone have actual sq inches of viewable area between these units?

Also, I know a couple people recommended full SS liner. Can you please tell me why? I don't mind spending the extra money, but my local guy is telling me its a waste of money.
Grkmec.I don't know why your dealer would say you don't need a full liner.With a direct connect
piece of pipe gos up from stove may be 3 feet into flue and then a block off plate is installed.
When it is time to clean that flue it would cost i would say 250.00 dollar's to pull the stove out
remove the block off plate clean chimney and clean smoke shelf out.I clean my chimney three
times a year that would be 750.00 that almost pays for a liner.And the stove draft so much better.

I HAVE THE 550 AND FRIENDS AND I INSTALLED IT LAST WEEK. THE LARGE VIEW IS GREAT BUT THE HEAT OUTPUT IS LESS THAN I EXPECTED. I DIDNT PUT IN A BLOCK OFF PLATE BECAUSE THE INSTRUCTIONS DID NOT CALL FOR ONE IN A MASIONARY FIREPLACE. MAYBE THATS WHY IM NOT GETTING THE HEAT OUTPUT . I DID SEAL THE SS LINER CAP AT TOP OF THE CHIMINEY. I MUST SAY THE LARGE FIREBOX HOLDS ALOT OF WOOD AND STARTING A FIRE IS QUICK. THE 550 ALSO BURNS EVEN ACROSS THE WHOLE FIREBOX. THE GLASS ON THE 550 DOES GET ALITTLE BROWN IN AREAS AFTER 12 HRS OF BURNING BUT IT IS EASY TO REMOVE WITH GLASS CLEANER. IF YOU HAVE ANY BROWN SPOTS ON THE GLASS THAT DONT COME OFF WITH THE GLASS CLEANER JUST SPRAY GLASS CLEANER ON A PAPER TOWEL AND DIP THE TOWEL IN SOME COLD ASH FROM YOUR STOVE THEN WIPE OFF THE SPOT. ITS A GOOD LOOKING UNIT AND IM GLAD I BOUGHT IT.

rer3x said:
I HAVE THE 550 AND FRIENDS AND I INSTALLED IT LAST WEEK. THE LARGE VIEW IS GREAT BUT THE HEAT OUTPUT IS LESS THAN I EXPECTED. I DIDNT PUT IN A BLOCK OFF PLATE BECAUSE THE INSTRUCTIONS DID NOT CALL FOR ONE IN A MASIONARY FIREPLACE. MAYBE THATS WHY IM NOT GETTING THE HEAT OUTPUT . I DID SEAL THE SS LINER CAP AT TOP OF THE CHIMINEY. I MUST SAY THE LARGE FIREBOX HOLDS ALOT OF WOOD AND STARTING A FIRE IS QUICK. THE 550 ALSO BURNS EVEN ACROSS THE WHOLE FIREBOX. THE GLASS ON THE 550 DOES GET ALITTLE BROWN IN AREAS AFTER 12 HRS OF BURNING BUT IT IS EASY TO REMOVE WITH GLASS CLEANER. IF YOU HAVE ANY BROWN SPOTS ON THE GLASS THAT DONT COME OFF WITH THE GLASS CLEANER JUST SPRAY GLASS CLEANER ON A PAPER TOWEL AND DIP THE TOWEL IN SOME COLD ASH FROM YOUR STOVE THEN WIPE OFF THE SPOT. ITS A GOOD LOOKING UNIT AND IM GLAD I BOUGHT IT.
We all need some pic's on this unit.
PLEASE. :cheese:

I have the Avalon Perfect-Fit. In the for what it's worth department, I looked up the spec's on both units the Jotul emissions are 7.1 gph which I think just barely gets it EPA cert. The Perfect-Fit is 4.1gph which gets it a EPA Phase II approval.

Perfect-Fit;
* The fire box is not square the rear corners are tappered in to allow for the funny shaped fireplaces. This makes it harder to fill the the box.
* Box is narrow in the north-south direction. Since I prep my own wood I cut a number of 12" and less pieces just for the N/S loading.
* The surround is nothing to brag about, the Jotul is better looking.
* The Jotul looks like it has bigger glass, the Perfect-Fit glass you need to be at a low angle to get a full view of the fire box.
* Heating, I live in the SF bay region of CA. my winters are noy very cold and it is more than adequate for me.
* Heating also depends on how well insulated your house is. For the age of my house circa 1953 I have added a lot of insulation and my house is a lot warmer than my neighbor.

The glass on the 550 is 21.5 across and 10.5 at center. The glass at outer edges is 8.75 . inside the fire box measures 15.5 x26.5 but there is 3" shelf aera just inside the door that jotel does not want wood, its to keep away from the glass. the blowers on the 550 could pump out more heat if they were larger. the 550 develops the heat but could use more rpm on the blowers . The door on the rockland seals great ,there is a ridge in the cast that sets into the door gasket when it is closed this helps seal better and also prolongs the life of the gasket. When i was looking at stoves not many had this feature. the damper control works perfect lets in lots of air wide open and the right amount at 1/8 for slow burn at night. If you need more info let me know.

The glass on the 550 is 21.5 across and 10.5 at center. The glass at outer edges is 8.75 . Inside the fire box measures 15.5 x26.5 but there is 3" shelf area just inside the door that jotel does not want wood, its to keep away from the glass. the blowers on the 550 could pump out more heat if they were larger. the 550 develops the heat but could use more rpm on the blowers . The door on the rockland seals great ,there is a ridge in the cast that sets into the door gasket when it is closed this helps seal better and also prolongs the life of the gasket. When i was looking at stoves not many had this feature. the damper control works perfect lets in lots of air wide open and the right amount at 1/8 for slow burn at night. If you need more info let me know.

Had my 550 Rockland installed last week (first insert) and it is running well after the intial burn-in period. Install was quick. Nice fit, nice look. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN2736.JPG
    DSCN2736.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCN2738.JPG
    DSCN2738.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 886
Yes I do. I also have a hearth extender on the floor as well. I thought these would be an eyesore but I really never focus in on them as they both blend in very well.

Nice shots whaler, the installation looks sweet. Just one thing missing - FIRE! :coolgrin:

Whaler, I'd like to get the firebox interior measurements for the C550. Is that possible or it already hot and cooking?

Sorry for the delay. Very close/approx. measurements below.
W-25.75" at widest point
D-14.75 door lip to back wall
H-14.5"

-WNY Whaler- I just read your input on your Jotul 550. I'm in the process of getting one now contingent on clearances but things look okay except mantel clearance.

I couldn't see a mantel shield in your pics. Was one in place? How much does it stick out? The imagine I have is of the Flying Nuns habit!!! (Sally Field t.v. series years ago...)

Did you install a block off plate in your damper area?

Is your chimney external or internal?

Thanks for your input. Not many 550's out there which is making me a tad nervous but what I've read is good and they (jotul) have been doing stoves for a long, long time.

Thanks Whaler. Sounds like about a 3 cu. ft. insert then. That's helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.