Jotul 100 (old)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bagwell

Oct 29, 2015
near Lowell Ma
Jotul used the "100" for different models making finding info/parts tough. I'm talking the one from circa mid-late 80's with no initials. The past 4 years or so I've torn into it deeper and deeper to the point where it's totally taken apart. I bought a new thermocouple for it last year, everything else is original. My problem is going from pilot to 2 burners and 4 burners. It likes to snuff out - constantly. When I get it to 3 I usually don't touch it until the carbon builds up and knocks out the pilot! I've cleaned the 5 jets just now, but is that enough, better new? You can also get a new regulator, but I'm not clear if that's the right step - probably after the jets. I've cleaned the various piping as well - didn't seem dirty.

Also I used some stove bright three years ago, and it got carbon stains on it when I touch it - unlike the original coating. Should you use a laquer type thing to seal the paint?

Thanks for any and all...

If you are getting that much carbon, your air shutter isn't opened enough or the gasket for the glass is shot.
The air shutter on the burner should be opened WIDE & tweaked closed until the flame tips turn yellow.
Not sure what Jotul used on the early GF100s to seal the glass. Tape gasket generally works best.

If you are getting that much carbon, your air shutter isn't opened enough or the gasket for the glass is shot.
The air shutter on the burner should be opened WIDE & tweaked closed until the flame tips turn yellow.
Not sure what Jotul used on the early GF100s to seal the glass. Tape gasket generally works best.

Thanks for the response, you're right about the glass gasket - it's shot. Ordered a new one.

The burner is not very accessable, probably runs open all the time, and depends on the pilot being sat on for a good :45 seconds and then allowed to warm up before opening two more jets. Go from pilot to all four jets open is an automatic kill the pilot.

BTW, it's not an "F" or "GF" it was built in 1988 prior to those - it's the enamel painted model with a gold band along the top hood and fender (blue black, burgundy, and off white are the colors). Probably on it's last legs, but, I'm retired now and want it to work for one more winter and the home inspector in the Spring - or chuck it, and pull out that nice b-vent pipe I installed and turn into an unused fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.