Jotul 118 B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/app/1315790186.html

Decided to get rid of the ZC FP and running new Class A in the existing chase.

I was hoping to keep the project under $2000 (at least for this years expenditures) so I'm looking at used stoves. This Jotul has the looks and would fit nicely in the spot I have in mind. Based on what I've read, it's a relativly good performer.

For somoene who plans to burn 2-3 chords a year, is this a good move? Would it be better to pick up a low cost epa stove at HD or Lowes (even though they are pretty ugly)?

3n93kc3pd5Qf5Ra5S298a906596f75f0d118f.jpg

I run one of those at my family's cabin.

There are a handful of things to think of - you may need to rebuild the stove or replace parts, and you will probably have to add more floor and wall protection than would be the case with a modern stove. All of this is going to add to your costs, and it could end up being as expensive as a new but inexpensive EPA stove.

While I agree with you about its good looks, it's not going to burn as efficiently as an inexpensive EPA stove - but it will burn fairly clean if you keep the temperatures up and if your chimney system is good.

If you're handy and can rebuild the 118 without too much trouble, and install floor and wall protection on your own, and if you have a good deal, then it might be worth it.

I wonder how well inexpensive EPA stoves hold their value on the second-hand market? Get one, and replace it with something more suited to your aesthetic sensibilities in a couple of years.

I'd say six bills is too much for a used 118B of uncertain history and condition, IMHO.

The price of used Jotul's sometimes baffles me. I saw a Nordic for sale...used for $1200. I could have sworn I saw a brand new one at the stove shop for $1100.

Skier76 said:
The price of used Jotul's sometimes baffles me. I saw a Nordic for sale...used for $1200. I could have sworn I saw a brand new one at the stove shop for $1100.

Same here . . . I frequently check Uncle Henrys and CL to see what used stoves are being sold and for how much . . . the price of some makes and models baffles me . . . then again, sometimes seeing complete junk stoves being sold for astronomical asking prices baffles me.

I didn't see the $600 price tag - even if it's in as good shape as they claim in the ad, that's too much.

If you keep an eye on the Lowe's/Home Depot sales, you can get an Englander 13 for a few hundred more. Uses less wood, makes less smoke.

Just yesterday I noticed four different new craigslist postings in ME for Englanders, new or a few years old, for $600-700.

branchburner said:
Just yesterday I noticed four different new craigslist postings in ME for Englanders, new or a few years old, for $600-700.

I'll keep looking. I may even just blow the budget and get what I want the first time.

I need a midsize stove that has a simmilar shape though. 30" or so wide but not much depth (15"-22") with rear exit.

Maybe the Jotul cb3

Jotul cb3 is a nice stove - probably toward the smaller end of mid-size. With the 30% tax credit this year and next, it really pays to get a new or near-new EPA stove. And even if you think the Englander isn't the best looking, at least you get to look at the fire, unlike the 118b. Pick one up for $600, take the credit for $200, and sell it for $400 next year. Free stove.

Skier76 said:
Nordic for $1200 on E-Bay

Like you said, isn't that about what a new one goes for? Really pretty stove but kinda small.

I'm almost positive the place we bought our Castine from (Fireplace Village in Keene) had the Nordic for $1,100 and change. We're kicking around getting one for our fireplace in CT.

Regardless....$1200 seems higher than the RETAIL price of a new unit. Hopefully, people do their homework before they bid on that auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.