Jotul 118 c. 1976

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
I acquired a Jotul 118 from an estate where it was first installed around 1976. It appears in perfect condition and was clearly just lightly used.

Internally there is a horizontal baffle between the firebox and the upper chamber. There are two hanging plates in the firebox. The floor has tall "fins" in a wavy pattern front to back. There's no brickwork inside.

The question: The fins had what looked like sand - in some areas "crusted" or caked. After cleaning it all out it occurred to me to ask if it might have been there by design? Did I make a mistake by cleaning it out?

As I continue to research the stove, I'm suspecting it isn't UL listed.

No UL tag, made 8/19/1976 and the model listed on the bottom is 118-119-2

Threads I find on the early 118 seem to say they were first listed ~ 1979 / 1980.

Will I be "allowed" to install it or do I have an extraordinarily pretty paperweight?

Yeah UL didn't even have a standard agreed on for wood stoves until 1978 or so.

It is up to your local building codes and insurance company whether you can install it or not. Possibly you can get there using the "generic" clearance to combustibles for unlisted stoves of 36". All up to your powers that be.

I have an opportunity to buy a C 118 and cannot find info on it on the web. I am new to woodstoves. I have seen it only once as it is installed in an old house we are buying. I suspect it was well maintained as the owner kept the house in great condition. I need to make a decision today as we close on the house tomorrow from long distance and I won't see it again until we move in during the summer.

Are these units general so well made that it's worth it? Asking price is $400 as they need to move out of house asap.

thanks

Old thread. See the other new posting for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.