jotul 118 knock off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mewdbrner

Aug 28, 2008
Central ME
Hi all. New to the forum here looking for a lillte insight. Just bought what at first glance looked like a Jotul 118 for $100. From looking around these forums I've learned so far that it is apparently a Scandia knock off made in Taiwan. I'm curious. I've looked at the parts diagrams for the 118 and the interior parts/design are the same in the knock off as the Jotul. It has the short side plates instead of the long ones and I'm going to have some long plates made for it. Being so similar to the original, what is it about the stove that makes it so much less efficient and safe? Thanks for the input.

mewdbrner said:
Hi all. New to the forum here looking for a lillte insight. Just bought what at first glance looked like a Jotul 118 for $100. From looking around these forums I've learned so far that it is apparently a Scandia knock off made in Taiwan. I'm curious. I've looked at the parts diagrams for the 118 and the interior parts/design are the same in the knock off as the Jotul. It has the short side plates instead of the long ones and I'm going to have some long plates made for it. Being so similar to the original, what is it about the stove that makes it so much less efficient and safe? Thanks for the input.

Hi mewdbrner here's some information on Scandias. I owned one about 25 years ago for one season.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21055/

I would certainly stay away from a knock off stove of any kind, simply for safety, design and materials. I could not sleep at night knowing that I put my family and home at risk to save a few bucks! No chance at all.

Methinks you paid too much. Cheap castings, inconsistent quality, poor fit are just the beginning of issues with these stoves. Ya get what ya pay for here. Try to find a real 118 in good condition and you will be a much happier camper.

In theory, if it was perfectly adjusted, sealed and built - it would operate in a similar fashion. But it was not.
At the time, these sold for $129, while a Jotul was $500+
I had dealings with the Scandia people and the castings were often of questionable quality. Fit and finish were variable, depending on the model and the year.

Thanks all for the info. Funny how things work. I ran into a guy today at work. I was telling him about the fake 118 I bought and he apparently worked for a shop in those days that sold all the major brands and the Scandias. His comment about it was that you often had to seal the seams with furnace cement or the stove could develop leaks at the seams. He felt that aside from this they worked fine. I bought this as a 2nd stove to put in my kitchen and probably won't run it as much. I heat most of my home with a Jotul Oslo which I am very happy with. Just can't get the heat out into the kitchen. I paid $100 for the Scandia. I'll make sure the seams are sealed and try it during the day. May keep my eyes open for a good deal on a Jotul too. Thanks again.

It could be worse u could of got one made in China. Vogelzang box stove :ahhh:

I'm poised to pick up a Jotul 118, later this week, that I found at a garage sale Friday for $95. My question is: How can you tell the difference between a Scandia and a Jotul. It looks pretty well broken in so I'm assuming the original owner had no complaints with it's operation. If there is an easy way to tell the difference? I would appreciate the info before I commit to buying it.

Thanks,

The name Jotul clearly cast into the stove door with the number 118 underneath the door is a good sign. The country Taiwan cast into any part of the stove is a bad sign. If you can post pictures, often we can ID the imitator.

Here's the original:
Jotul_F_118_b.jpg

I'll know for certain by the end of the week. I can say that it has Jotul on the door. I didn't notice a 118 but then again I wasn't looking for it. Nor was I looking for Taiwan. It had a bakelite knob on the handle, whether that means anything I don't know.

Good luck. The real McCoy was a serious heater and a good stove.

The new one is not too bad looking either.

I had a 118 knock off (about 30 years ago) and it worked just fine, used it for many years to heat my basement. I liked the way it burned the logs like a cigar. Yes it did need to be caulked occasionally, but that's an easy job. My friend had the Jotul, in green, his top warped on his, my knock off didn't warp, and they were both cast iron. If I remember correctly I paid $100 for it and sold it years later for not much less than that. I have no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.