jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reganp

Nov 3, 2007
CentNY
does anyone know if the UL side baffles will fit in the older style 118? They are too big to go through the door so I was thinking of removing the top and trying that.

What is the UL?

the side baffles are bigger than the old style. The dealer called them the UL type baffles. Will they fit?

If the inside of the 118 has 3 mounting pins or hook like pieces on each side of the stove than you can use either non UL (smaller 2 hole plates) or UL (Larger 3hole plates). How much does the dealer want for the larger UL plates? The larger plate give more protection to the sides of the stove. I don't know if it is really needed but it can't hurt I guess.

matt, does the top edge of the 118 side plate meet precisely with the top baffle? If it does, how does the larger plate fit? On the 602 this is a fairly snug fit.

yes it does. The larger plate mounts the same but it is a couple inches wider and a few inches longer and it uses all 3 pins and the smaller plate is only long enough to use 2 pins. On the 602 the side plates don't cover the whole length of the stove. The plates in the 118 also don't run the whole length of the stove. I wonder why Jotul decided not to have the side plates fit the whole side of the stove?

Yes take the stove top off then remove the top baffle. Did the dealer give you a price for the side plates?

yeah, they are 2x the cost of the old style( $ 140ish each). On the other hand, they are about twice as big and better designed(ie- I think they will hold up longer).

My 118 has the smaller plates. Years ago I had a Knock-Off 118 and it had larger and thicker plates. My family burned that stove for over 20 years. Near the end the side plates were cracked and warped. I really like the idea of using larger plates but they are expensive. I wonder if making plates out of steel would be cheaper?.

don't know. The new plates are grooved and appear to be quite substantial. I'm waiting for a warm spell to install them. My stove is nearly 30 years old. If I had to guess I would say I have replaced the side baffles 6-7 times. I wonder, do you know anyone using the new 118. Does it heat like the old 118? one?

Make a template ( pattern) of the side ( and top) plates. Take them to a metal fabrication shop to cut them out of 1/4" steel; a lot cheaper than $140. each and more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.